Destinations-UK-Ireland
Destinations-UK-Ireland
HomeEnglandIrelandNorthern IrelandScotlandWales
New This Month
Home
England
Ireland
N. Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Articles
Attractions
Accommodation
Gardens
National Parks
Tourist Information
News
Books
Web Links
About Us
Contact Us

 

Grampian (Aberdeenshire and Moray)

Mar Lodge estate courtesy National Trust for Scotland The Aberdeenshire and Moray area was formerly known as Grampian from the Grampian mountains in the west and south of this area. There’s lots to see in this uncrowded part of Scotland. The National Trust for Scotland manages the Mar Lodge estate, west of Braemar. Its 77,500 acres is part of the core area of the Cairngorms, an important nature conservation area. Four of the five highest mountains in the UK are located here as well as a remnant of a Caledonian pine forest.

Aberdeen Maritime Museum courtesy Richard Slessor Geograph Britain and Ireland Provost Skene House courtesy Anthony Foster Geograph Britain and Ireland The chief town of this area is Aberdeen, built mostly of grey granite. It was an important trading port from early times and still is important in the oil industry. A maritime museum tells the story of the trade. Aberdeen is home to Provost Skene’s House, a typical 16th-17th century early Burgh architecture. The period rooms have plaster ceilings and wood panelling. In the chapel is an outstanding 16th century painted ceiling. The 17th century Tolbooth has displays on the civic history of the city in its cells.

King's College Chapel exterior courtesy Jenny Embleton Geograph Britain and Ireland King's College Chapel interior courtesy Colin Smith Geograph Britain and Ireland The story of King’s College is detailed in its visitor centre. The chapel is of special note and is famous for its Renaissance crown spire restored in the 17th century after storm damage. Built in the 16th century, it has managed to escape renovation and remains true to the period. The interior has a rare group of medieval carved fittings, canopied stalls, a rood screen and pulpit of interest. Another place of worship in the city is St Machar’s Cathedral. Its flat wooden medieval ceiling, covered with heraldic designs, is unique. The nave and towers are used as a church today.

Banchory Falls by Barbara Ballard Banchory is a most attractive town with grey stone houses and amenities for tourists. Just on the edge of the town is a river with a small waterfall. A pleasant little tearoom sits right on the river and is surrounded by trees. It’s a most relaxing place to have a ‘cuppa’.

Pitmedden Garden by Barbara Ballard Pitmedden Garden is a formal garden with elaborate floral designs. It was first created in the 17th century. In July and August there are 30-40,000 annuals in bloom. Herb and wildlife gardens are also on display. There is a woodland walk and nature trail where rare breeds of livestock or endangered species can be viewed. The Museum of Farming Life, on the 100-acre estate, has implements, artifacts and domestic utensils.

Ballater station by Barbara Ballard At Ballater is the Royal Station, so called because in 1848 Queen Victoria and Prince Albert went from Balmoral to Montrose, then to England by train as they were unable to take the royal yacht due to storms. As a result the train line was extended to Ballater in 1866. Six reigning monarchs used the train over the ensuing years. The 15th of October, 1968, was the last year the station was used by a royal train, resulting in the station’s closure. (Note: in May 2015 the station caught on fire and was destroyed. However a replica of the royal train survived, and a replica of the original stations opens in Dec. 2017.)

Ferrari at Alford Museum by Barbara Ballard Alford is a pleasant small town worth visiting for its Grampian Motor Museum. The collection includes a few old cars, a tram and a fire engine or two but mainly a very large collection of motorcycles. There’s also a two foot narrow gauge train ride in the town, a special treat for the child in all of us.

Glenfiddich Distillery by Barbara Ballard Dufftown is a whiskey lover’s paradise with seven distilleries. Glenfiddich whiskey distillery offers tours. The distillery was built by the Grant family with the help of one stonemason. It took 18 months to complete. Whisky first came from the still on Dec. 25, 1887 and is what is called a single malt whisky. It is made exactly the same way today as it was then and is still owned by the family.

Historic lighthouse by Barbara Ballard Display in the Lighthouse Museum by Barbara Ballard The Lighthouse Museum in Fraserburgh offers a fascinating insight into lighthouses and their components. There are guided tours to the top of Kinnaird Head lighthouse on the site. It’s a four storey converted 16th century castle. The museum has a large collection of lighthouse equipment with all the details, and a multi-media AV presentation. It’s worth a half day visit.

Duff House by Barbara Ballard Duff House, a Georgian mansion, in the town of Banff became derelict and was restored by Historic Scotland. It serves as an outstation of the National Galleries of Scotland. There is a collection of paintings, and most of the rooms are furnished as they were once used. In one room is a paper mache decorated ceiling—standing in for a plaster one. Woodland walks and music and lecture events are on offer.

Haddo House exterior courtesy National Trust for Scotland Haddo House morning room courtesy National Trust for Scotland Haddo House was designed by William Adam in 1731. The interior is “Adam Revival” of 1880 with Victorian furnishings. Twin staircases and library set off the interior along with an exhibition of paintings and objects d’art. The grounds include an avenue of lime trees. The mansion is now a home for the Haddo House Choral and Operatic Society.

Leith Hall by Barbara Ballard Leith Hall gardens by Barbara Ballard Leith Hall has been the home of the Leith family from 1650 and contains the personal possessions of the lairds. It was extended to four wings around a central courtyard in the 18th and 19th centuries. An exhibition is called ‘For Crown and Country: the Military Lairds of Leith Hall’. Attractions in the grounds include a six-acre garden, bird observation hide, countryside walks, 18th century stables, and an ice house.

Spynie Bishops Palace by Barbara Ballard Elgin Cathedral chapter house ceiling by Barbara Ballard At Elgin the cathedral, founded in 1224, was burned in 1390 by the ‘Wolf of Badenoch’. Some conservation work was done, and the twin west front towers still stand. The east end has an impressive rose window. Pictish stone, tomb effigies, and a 13th century chapter house complete the list of attractions. Nearby, Spynie Bishops Palace was once the home of bishops who lived there in splendor until 1686. It is the only sign that a town of the same name once stood here. Only a tower remains of the palace; the rest of the ruins are just rubble walls.

Cruden Bay by Barbara Ballard There are several scenic fishing and coastal villages along the eastern and northern coast of Grampian. Portsoy is an attractive conservation village. Fordyce has a 13th century church of interest. Don’t miss a visit to Cruden Bay and its luscious sand beaches, one side reached by a bridge over the bay. Cruden Bay gets its name from a time when the Danes were slaughtered here, its name a corruption of “slaughter the Danes”.

Braemar pipers courtesy Jim Henderson The village of Braemar, home to the Highland Games, is visited by the Queen and family each year. A highland heritage centre tells the facts about the area. The Linn o’ Dee near the village is a famous beauty spot where the river runs through a narrow channel then drops into rocky pools.



Braemar castle courtesy Grame Buck Balmoral Castle by Barbara Ballard Grampian is replete with castles. The area of the rivers Dee and Don lie in what is known as castle country. Braemar Castle was the home of the Farquharsons of Invercauld. The L plan, brown-harled castle, built in 1628, was burned and rebuilt. Elements include a round central tower and spiral staircase, barrel-vaulted ceilings, defensive curtain wall, yett (portcullis) and pit prison. Chippendale and Hepplewhite furniture and paintings are on display along with a 53 pound uncut cairngorm (semi-precious form of quartz) believed to be the biggest in the world. The most famous castle in this part of Scotland is Balmoral, the Scottish home of the Royal family. The mid-19th century castle was built of local granite in the baronial style for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

Crathes Castle by Barbara Ballard Crathes Castle’s barrel vaulted hall houses the ancient Horn of Leys given in 1323 to Alexander Burnett by King Robert the Bruce. The tower house was begun in 1553. Turrets, gargoyles, vaulted kitchen chambers and a prison hole make for an interesting tour. A bedroom has original half tree trunk floorboards. There’s a unique, decorated oak panelled roof. The long gallery has superb painted ceilings. A visitor centre incorporates exhibits and displays.

Crathes Castle garden by Barbara Ballard The 3¾ acres of walled gardens here are superb. They were the lifetime achievement of the late Sir James and Lady Burnett. Beautiful colour, interesting shapes, and designs are incorporated in the herbaceous borders and unusual plants making up the various gardens. The Pool Garden contains yellows, reds and purples while the formal Fountain Garden focuses on blues. A Rose Garden and a topiary garden add interest. The Golden Garden is a memorial to Lady Burnett while a double herbaceous border separates the Camel and Trough Gardens. There is a White border and a June border. The great yew hedges date from the early 1700s.

Castle Fraser by Barbara Ballard Craigievar Castle by Barbara Ballard There’s more to see on the castle trail. Built in 1575, Castle Fraser’s Z plan incorporates an earlier building and was remodeled in 1838. It sports turrets and towers, gables and gargoyles. There’s a great hall. The ghost of a princess, killed in the Green Room, haunts the castle and rearranges the furniture. Craigievar, a six-storey L plan castle, was built in the Scottish baronial style with turrets, cupolas and corbelling. Its 1626 great hall has original plaster ceilings. Of further interest are 17th and 18th century furniture, family portraits, a magnificent canopied bed, Scottish panelling, and a secret staircase.

Kildrummy is a ruined 13th century castle with curtain wall, towers, hall and chapel. It was the seat of the Earls of Mar. There’s much of interest in the gardens.

Delgatie Castle by Barbara Ballard Delgatie Castle, dating from 1030, is the clan Hay centre. Mary Queen of Scots stayed here for three days after the battle of Corrichie in 1562, and her bedchamber is on view. The castle has a number of painted ceilings. The main tower dates from 1100 while the final extension with the battlement walks above the stringcourse was completed in 1579. Both wings were added in 1743 with the chapel and doocot on the west and the kitchen and servants’ quarters on the east. The original painted ceilings date from 1592 and 1597 and are considered very fine. Strange animals are depicted, some with human heads. The five foot wide turnpike stair of 97 treads leading to 11 levels of rooms and is built within the thickness of the wall.

Ballindalloch Castle by Barbara Ballard Ballindalloch castle is a romantic castle in the heart of the whiskey country. Originally a tower house, it was added to in Victorian times. Besides being home to the Macpherson-Grants since 1546, it also hosts a herd of Aberdeen Angus cattle. There are lovely flowers in the grounds. The golden stone castellated and turreted mansion of Fasque was home to William Gladstone, four times prime minister. It’s a Victorian ‘upstairs, downstairs’ home with kitchen, laundry, bakery and buttery. There’s a double cantilevered staircase, a magnificent drawing room library, bedrooms, and Georgian and Regency furniture. The castle has an exhibition of Gladstone memorabilia.

Brodie Castle exterior by Barbara Ballard Brodie Castle dining room courtesy National Trust for Scotland Brodie Castle was originally a Z plan castle of the 16th and 17th centuries, but was rebuilt after being burned. The dining room has an ornate plasterwork ceiling. The castle contains a collection of French furniture, 18th century lacquer furniture, ornate plasterwork, porcelain, timepieces and paintings (including Dutch Old Masters). There are woodland walks with wildlife observation hides and a wild garden.

Drum Castle courtesy National Trust for Scotland Drum Castle garden by Barbara Ballard Drum Castle is a massive 13th century rectangular tower and one of the three oldest tower houses in Scotland. A Jacobean wing was a later addition. There’s a collection of Georgian furniture and a 17th century family chapel in the grounds. The 100 acre Old Wood of Drum contains a natural oak wood, a garden of historic roses, and woodland walks.

Fyvie Castle by Barbara Ballard Fyvie Castle gallery courtesy National Trust for Scotland Fyvie Castle’s five towers were built over five centuries; the oldest dates from the 13th century. Built in the Scottish baronial architecture style its spectacular south front is 150 feet long. The Edwardian interior with its plasterwork ceilings is opulent. The finest wheel-stair in Scotland rises through five floors. A collection of portraits includes those by Raeburn and Gainsborough. Arms and armour and 17th century tapestries add to the glories. The grounds offer an ice house, a restored racquet court, a bird hide, and lakeside walks.

Dunnottar Castle by Barbara Ballard The ruined walls of Dunnottar Castle, near Stonehaven, are spectacularly sited on a high cliff beside the sea. A gorge runs inward from the sea beside the castle. The views of the castle from the parking lot and the path are breath-taking. To reach the castle you walk along a gravel path, then down 178 steps, along another path, then up 90 steps. Another path crosses the gorge on a bridge to the opposite cliffs.

Balvenie Castle by Barbara Ballard Glenbuchat Castle by Barbara Glenbuchat castle, set in a field, was built in 1590 by John Gordon. It belonged to the Gordons until 1738 when it was sold to Lord Braco, later the Earl of Fife. It is a Scottish tower house with the main block flanked by towers at diagonally opposite corners. The ruins are enclosed on the ground floor, open to the sky on the top floor. Balvenie Castle was built in the 1500s but was added to over the centuries to become a country house in the 1700s, then fell into disrepair and dereliction.

Huntly Castle fireplace by Barbara Ballard The magnificent ruin of Huntly Castle, in its stunning setting, dates from its 12th century motte. A 16th and 17th century palace block was added. Architectural details and heraldic enrichments have survived.




E Aquhorthies stone circle by Barbara Ballard Loanhead Stone Circle by Barbara Ballard This area of Scotland is also known for its recumbent stone circles with more than 600 on record. You’ll have to hunt them down in the countryside, but that’s half the fun. These circles have a huge slab laid on the side, which is always located in the south-west of the circle or in the southern arc of the ring. Easter Aquhorthies Stone Circle is a 4000 year old one. Tomnaverrie dates from c 2500BC.

Aberdeen and Grampian Visitor Information Centres

Official websites for Royal Deeside area:
Visit Royal Deeside
Royal Deeside

Aberdeen Visitor Information Centre
23 Union St, Aberdeen AB11 5BP
Tel. 0 1224 288 828
Open: mid March-end June: Mon-Sat 9am-5.30pm; July-Aug: Mon-Sat 9-6.30pm, Sun 10am-4pm; Sep-3rd week Oct: Mon-Sat 9am-5.30pm; 3rd week Oct-mid March: 9am-4.30pm

Alford TIC
Old Station Yard, Main St, Alford AB33 8FD
Tel. 0 1975 562 052
Open: April-May and Sep: Mon-Fri 10am-1pm, 2-5pm, Sat 10am-noon and 12.45-5pm, Sun 12.45-5pm; June-Aug: Mon-Sat 10am-noon and 12.45-5pm, Sun 12.45-5pm

Ballater TIC
The Old Royal Station, Ballater AB 35 5QB
Tel. 0 1339 755 306
Open: Jan-Jun and Sep-Dec: daily, 10am-5pm; July-Aug: daily 9am-6pm

Banchory TIC
Bridge St, Banchory AB31 5SX
Tel. 0 1330 822 000
Open: April-June: Mon-Sat, 10am-1pm, 2-5pm; July-Aug: Mon-Fri 9.30am-6pm, Sun 1-6pm; Sep: Mon-Sat 9.30am-1pm, 2-5.30pm; Oct: Mon-Sat 10am-1pm, 2-5pm

Banff
Collie Lodge, Banff AB45 1AU
Tel. 0 1261 812 419
Open: April-Sep: Mon-Sat 10am-5pm, Sun noon-5pm

Braemar TIC
The Mews, Mar Rd, Braemar AB35 5YP
Tel. 0 1339 741 600
Open: Jan-May and Nov-Dec: Mon-Sat 10.30am-1.30pm, 2-5pm, Sun 1-4pm; June-Sep: daily 9am-5pm, in Aug until 6pm; Oct: daily 9am-5pm

Crathie
The Car Park, Crathie AB35 5UL
Tel. 0 1339 742 414
Open: April, June, Sep, Oct: daily 9.30am-5pm; July-Aug: daily 9.30am-5.30pm

Dufftown
2 The Square, Dufftown AB55 4AD
Tel. 0 1340 820 501
Open: April-June and third week Aug-end Oct: Mon-Sat 10am-1pm, 2-5pm; July-Aug: Mon-Sat 10am-6pm, Sun 11am-3pm

Elgin
17 High St, Elgin IV30 1EG
Tel. 0 1343 542 666
Open: Jan-mid March and Nov-Dec: Mon-Sat 10am-4pm; mid March- April and mid Sep-Oct: Mon-Sat 10am-5pm; April June: Mon-Sat 10am-5pm, Sun 11am-3pm; June-Aug: Mon-Sat 10am-6pm, Sun 11am-4pm; early-mid Sep: Mon-Sat 9am-6pm, Sun 11am-3pm

Forres TIC
116 High St, Forres
Tel. 0 1309 672 938
Open: April-Oct: Mon-Sat 10am-1pm, 2-5pm

Fraserburgh TIC
3 Saltoun Sq, Fraserburgh AB43 9DA
Tel. 0 1346 518 315
Open: April-3rd week Oct: Mon-Sat 10am-1pm, Sun 2-5pm

Huntly TIC
9a the Square, Huntly AB54 8AD
Tel. 0 1466 792 255
Open: April-June and mid Aug-end Oct: Mon-Sat 10am-1pm, 2-5pm, Sun 10am-3pm; July-mid Aug: Mon-Sat 10am-1pm, 2-5pm, Sun 10am-3pm

Inverurie Bookstore and TIC
18 High St, Inverurie AB51 3XQ
Tel. 01467 625 800
Open: Jan-April and Sep-Nov: Mon-Sat 9am-5pm; June-Aug: Mon-Sat 9am-5.30pm; Dec: Mon-Sat 9am-5pm and Sun from noon

Stonehaven TIC
66 Allardice St, Stonehaven AB39 2AA
Tel. 0 1569 762 806
Open: April-May and Oct: Mon-Sat 10am-1pm, 2-5pm; June and Sep: Mon-Sat 10am-1pm, 2-5.30pm; July-Aug: Mon-Sat 10am-7pm, Sun 1-5.30pm

Tomintoul TIC
The Square, Tomintoul AB37 9ET
Tel. 0 1807 580 285
Open: April-June and late Aug-Oct: Mon-Sat 9.30am-1pm, 2-5pm; early-late Aug: Mon-Fri 9am-5.30pm,, Sat 9am-1pm, 2-5.30pm, Sun 1-5pm
Grampian Attractions

For full details of attractions see the Attractions section of our website.

Aberdeen Art Gallery
Aberdeen, on the A90
Tel. 0 1224 646 333

Aberdeen Maritime Museum
Provost Ross’s House, Shiprow, Aberdeen
On the A90
Tel. 0 1224 337 700

Auchindoun Castle
Two miles south of Dufftown on the A941
Tel. 0 1667 460232

Ballindalloch Castle
Fourteen miles (22.5km) northeast of Grantown-on-Spey
On the A95
Tel. 0 1807 500 205
Web: Ballindalloch Castle

Balmoral Castle
Eight miles (13km) southwest of Ballater, off A93
Tel. 0 13397 42334
Web: Balmoral Castle

Balvenie Castle
Dufftown (A941), on the B9014
Tel. 0 1340 201 121

Banff Museum
Banff on the A97/A98
Tel. 0 1261 622 906

Braemar Castle
½ mile (.8km) east of Braemar on the A93
Tel. 0 13397 41219
For photos and more details see our article Braemar

Braemar Highland Heritage Centre
Braemar, Grampian TIC, on the A835
Tel. 0 1339 741 944
For photos and more details see our article Braemar

Brandsbutt Symbol Stone
1 mile (1.6km) northwest of Inverurie
Off the A96
Tel. 0 1667 460 232

Brodie Castle
Four miles (6km) west of Forres; off the A96
Tel. 0 1309 641 371

Castle Fraser
Four miles (6km) north of Dunecht
15 miles west of Aberdeen, off the A944
Tel. 0 1330 833 463

Corgarff Castle
On the A939 west of Corgarff
Tel. 0 1975 6 51 460

Craigievar Castle
Six miles (10km) south of Alford
26 miles west of Aberdeen, on the A980
Tel. 0 13398 83636

Craigston Castle
4.5 miles (7.25km) northeast of Turriff
On the B9105
Tel. 0 1888 551 228

Crathes Castle and Gardens
Three miles (5km) east of Banchory
15 miles west of Aberdeen
On the A93
Tel. 0 1330 844 525

Cruickshank Botanic Garden
St. Machar Drive, Aberdeen
On the A90
Tel. 0 1224 272 704

Cullen Old Kirk
Cullen, on the A98

Cullerlie Stone Circle
Near Garlogie, 12 miles (19.3km) west of Aberdeen
On minor road off the B9125
Tel. 0 1667 460 232
For photos and more details see our article Recumbent Stone Circles of Aberdeenshire

Culsh Earth-House
Culsh, 1 mile (1.6km) east of Tarland
Off the B9119
Tel. 0 1667 460 232

Culsh Memorial
New Deer, off the A981/A948

Dallas Dhu Distillery
One mile (1.6km) south of Forres, off the A940
Tel. 0 1309 676 548

Dean’s Shortbread Factory
Huntley
Tel. 0 1466 792086
Web: Dean’s Shortbread Factory

Deer Abbey
Near Old Deer west of Peterhead
Two miles west of Mintlaw on A959030
Tel. 0 1667 460 232

Delgatie Castle
Off A947 Aberdeen to Banff Rd
Tel. 0 1888 563 479
Web: Delgatie Castle

Doune Church
Macduff, on the A98

Drum Castle
Three miles (5km) west of Peterculter
8 miles east of Banchory, off the A93
Tel. 0 1330 811 204

Duff House
County House Gallery, Banff
On the A947/97
Tel. 0 1261 818 181

Dunnottar Castle
1.5 miles (2.4km) southeast of Stonehaven
Just off the A92
Tel. 0 1569 762 173

Duthie Park and Winter Gardens
On Polmuir Rd, Aberdeen
On the A90
Tel. 0 1224 585 310

Dyce Symbol Stones
In ruined parish church, off the B977
.75 mile north of Kirkton off Aberdeen airport ring road
Tel. 0 1667 460 232

Easter Aquhorthies Stone Circle
One mile (1.6km) west of Inverurie, off the A96
Tel. 0 1667 460 232
For photos and more details see our article Recumbent Stone Circles of Aberdeenshire

Elgin Cathedral
Elgin, on the A96, A941
Tel. 0 1343 547 171

Elgin Museum
High St, Elgin, on the A96, A941
Tel. 0 1343 543 675

Fasque
Fettercairn
Four miles (6km) northwest of Laurencekirk, via B9120 and B974
Tel. 0 1561 340 202

Fyvie Castle
Fourteen miles (22.5km) north of Inverurie
Off the A947
Tel. 0 1651 891 266

Glenbuchat Castle
On the A97 west of Glenkindie

Grampian Transport Museum
Alford, on the A944
Tel. 0 1975 562 292

Haddo House
Four miles (6km) north of Pitmedden, off the B999
Tel. 0 1651 851 440

Huntly Castle
Huntly, on the A96
Tel. 0 1466 793 191

Kildrummy Castle
Kildrummy, on the A97
Tel. 0 1975 571 331 for castle; 0 1975 571 203 for gardens

Kincardine O’Neil Church
Kincardine O’Neil, on the A93

King’s College Chapel
On college campus at Aberdeen, on the A90/93/96

Kinkell Church
Two miles (3km) south of Inverurie (A96)
On unclassified road off B993 to Whiterashes
Tel. 0 1667 460 232

Leith Hall, Garden and Estate
Seven miles (11.3km) south of Huntly
On the B9002 and off the A97
Tel. 0 1464 831 216

Lighthouse Museum
Fraserburgh, Grampian, on the A90/A981
Tel. 01346 511 022
Web: Lighthouse Museum

Linn o’ Dee
On minor road west of Braemar
Along the south side of the Dee

Loanhead Stone Circle
Near Daviot, 5 miles (8km) north-west of Inverurie
On minor road signed off A920/B9001
Tel. 0 1667 460 232
For photos and more details see our article Recumbent Stone Circles of Aberdeenshire

Maggie’s Hoosie
26 Shore St, Inverallochy
Four miles (6km) from Fraserburgh, Grampian, off the B9033

Maiden Stone
On minor road off the A96
Near Chapel of Garioch
4.5 miles (6.8km) northwest of Inverurie

Mar Lodge Estate
Five miles (8km) west of Braemar
Accessed from A93 via unclassified road
Tel. 0 13397 41433

Marischal College Museum
Aberdeen, across the road from the TIC
Tel. 0 1224 273 131

Memsie Cairn
On B9032 .5 mile south-west of Memsie village
Off the A90 (A92), near Rathen
3.5 miles (5.8km) south of Fraserburgh

Monymusk Church
Monymusk, off the B993 on unclassified road

Moray Motor Museum
Bridge St, Elgin, on the A96/A941

Picardy Symbol Stone
Off the B922, near Insch
8 miles south of Huntly

Pitmedden Garden
On the A920, 1 mile (1.6km) west of Pitmedden
Tel. 0 1651 842 352

Prop of Ythsie
In a field at the highest point of the Haddo Estate at Tarves on the B999

Provost Skene’s House
45 Guest Row, off Broad St, Aberdeen
Tel. 0 1224 641 086

St Machar’s Cathedral
Old Aberdeen, on A92
Tel. 0 1224 485988
Web: St Machar's Cathedral

St Peter’s Kirk and Parish Cross
Duffus, on the B9012, northwest of Elgin

Sueno’s Stone
At east end of Forres, off the A96

The Enchanted Glen
Glen Tanar, Aboyne
Tel. 0 8444 999 990 or 0 1224 641 122 (tickets)

Tolbooth Museum
Town House, Union St, Aberdeen
Tel. 0 1224 621 167

Tolquhon Castle
Just north of Pitmedden (A920) off the B999
Tel. 0 1651 851 286

Tomnaverie Stone Circle
Off B9094, near Mill of Wester Coull
3 miles (5km) north-west of Aboyne on B9094
For photos and more details see our article Recumbent Stone Circles of Aberdeenshire

Photos by Barbara Ballard and
Brodie Castle dining room, Fyvie Castle gallery, Haddo House and Haddo House morning room, and Mar Lodge estate courtesy National Trust for Scotland.
Braemar pipers courtesy Jim Henderson.
Braemar Castle courtesy Grame Buck.
and courtesy Geograph Britain and Ireland as follows:
Aberdeen Maritime Museum: Richard Slessor
Provost Skene House: Anthony Foster
King’s College Chapel exterior: Jenny Embleton
King’s College Chapel interior: Colin Smith

Go Back: [Top of Page] [Scotland Home Page]



Be a Destinations-UK-Ireland Sponsor
Our Grampian Articles
Aberdeenshire Stone Circles
Braemar
Crathes Castle

Take a CalMac Ferry to the Hebrides

CalMac stack logo

Time Search Destinations-UK for Historical Information
© Destinations-UK-Ireland. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission is prohibited.
Site maintained by andyfellwalker
England | Ireland | N. Ireland | Scotland | Wales | About Us | Contact Us
.
United Kingdom England Ireland Scotland Wales