Dundee is the major town in this area. It was once a busy whaling port and the center of a thriving jute industry. A restored jute mill, Verdant Works, with computer simulations tells the story for the visitor. Maritime historians will want to visit Captain Scott’s Discovery, located on the bank of the Firth of Tay. Included are exhibitions and av displays. Another ship, the Unicorn, built in 1824 as a warship is berthed at Victoria Dock. Angus and Dundee Tourist Information Centres
On the coast, Arbroath Abbey in the former fishing village of the same name was originally a priory founded in 1178 by William the Lion who is buried here. It was dedicated to Thomas á Becket.
The Declaration of Arbroath (1320) declaring the independence of Scotland following the Battle of Bannockburn was drawn up in the abbey. Remains include a gatehouse, entrance towers, south transept, abbey guesthouse, the Regality Tower—a fortress and prison of the abbey—and the only surviving abbot’s house in Scotland, now a museum. In 1951 the stolen Stone of Destiny turned up on the altar. St. Vigeans Museum, north of Arbroath, contains an important collection of early Christian monuments.
Glamis Castle is probably the most visited place in Angus. It’s the towered and turreted family home of the Earls of Strathmore and Kinghorne. It began as a medieval royal hunting lodging, then became a royal residence in 1372. It is the childhood home of the Queen Mother and the scene of the death of King Malcolm.
There’s a 15th century, L-shaped tower block, remodelled in early 17th century. The drawing room, dining room and King Malcolm’s bedroom have plasterwork ceilings. Historic pictures, furniture, armour, tapestries and porcelain grace the interior. Royal apartments decorated in the 1920’s for the then Duke and Duchess of York (George VI and Queen Elizabeth) are on view. The crypt and Duncan’s Hall are said to be haunted. One ghost, the wife of the 6th Lord Glamis, was burned as a witch by James V.
Glamis village is the home of the Angus Folk museum placed in a row of 18th century cottages. Agricultural and domestic implements of the past are on view and include a manse parlour, dairy, laundry and schoolroom, cottage industries, kitchen, written and photographic records. Across the road is an agricultural section with implements and farm life displays.
Kirriemuir, to the north of Glamis, is a conservation village. J. M. Barrie, author of Peter Pan, was born in the village. His house is open for view, and there’s an exhibition on him and Peter Pan.
In the Esk glen is Edzell, a roofless late medieval tower house incorporated into a 16th century courtyard mansion. In the grounds is a walled formal garden and summerhouse. Unique carvings decorate the garden walls. A folk museum and the ruins of another castle, Invermark, are located in the same glen.
The town of Brechin, on the river, has a cathedral with an unusual freestanding round tower built c1000. Catch a steam train from Brechin to the House of Dun.
The Georgian home was designed and built by William Adam in 1730. It’s known for its beautiful plasterwork, examples of woolwork and embroidery, portraits, furniture and porcelain.
This area of Scotland has a number of prehistoric sites. Two of note are the Ardestie Earth-House and the Carlungie Earth-House, both Iron Age underground galleries.
Two Iron Age hill forts are located in Glen Lethnot, one of northern Angus’s five scenic glens. At Glen Isla is the Caenlochan National Nature Reserve. Glen Prosen provides mountain and forest walks. The mountainous Glen Clova is perhaps the most attractive of the glens and offers many walks.
Arbroath DD11 1HR
Tel. 0 1241 872 609
Open: April-June, Sep, Oct: daily 10am-5pm; July-Aug, daily 10am-6pm
Brechin Castle Centre
Haughmuir, DD9 6RL
Tel. 0 8452 255 121
Open: April-Sep: Mon-Sat 9am-5.30pm, Sun 10.30am-5pm; Oct-March: Sat and Sun from 10am-5pm
Tel. 0 1382 527 527
Open: mid June-end June and mid Sep-last week Oct, Mon-Thu, 10am-5pm, Fri and Sat, 10am-5.30pm, Sun 11am-5.30pm; July-mid Sep, Mon-Thu, 10am-5.30pm, Fri and Sat, 10am-6pm, Sun, 11am-6pm; Nov-first week April, Mon-Thu, 10am-4pm, Fri and Sat, 10am-4.30pm, Sun 11am-4.30pm
Photos courtesy of National Trust for Scotland and Barbara Ballard
Angus and Dundee Attractions
For opening times and full details of attractions see the Attractions section of our website.
Aberlemno Sculptured Stones
Aberlemno, 6 miles (10km) northeast of Forfar, Angus
On the B9134
Angus Folk Museum
Kirkwynd, Glamis, Forfar
Off the A94/A928
Tel. 0 1307 840 288
Arbroath, Angus, on the A92
Tel. 0 1241 878 756
1.25 miles (1.6km) north of Monifieth, Angus
Off the A92
9 Brechin Rd, Kirriemuir, Angus
On the A926
Tel. 0 1575 572 646
Barry near Carnoustie, Angus
On the A930
Tel. 0 1241 856 761
Brechin Castle Gardens Centre
Dalhousie Estate, Brechin, Angus
Tel. 0 1356 624 566
Web: Brechin Castle Garden Centre
Brechin Cathedral and Round Tower
Brechin town centre, on the A935 just off the A90
Brechin, on the A935 just off the A90
Tel. 0 1674 622 687 for opening details
Brown and White Caterthuns
On minor road at the foot of Glen Lethnot, Angus
Two miles from Bridgend, near the A90
2.5 miles (4km) northeast of Monifieth
On the B961, off A92
Discovery and Unicorn Ships Museum
Dundee; on the bank of the Firth of Tay near the Tay Road bridge
Dunninald House and Gardens
Two miles south of Montrose, Angus and Dundee
Between A92 and the sea
Tel. 0 1674 672 030
Eassie Old Church
Eassie, off A94 near Glamis
Eassie Sculptured Stone
In old church of Eassie, off the A94 west of Glamis
On minor road off B966 by Edzell, Angus
6 miles (10km) north of Brechin
Tel. 0 1356 648 631
Off A90 6 miles (10km) north of Forfar, Angus
Glamis, Angus, off the A928
Tel. 0 1307 840 393
Web: Glamis Castle
Glen Clova, Glen Esk, Glen Isla, Glen Lethnot, Glen Prosen
Located in the north of Angus
House of Dun
Three miles (5km) west of Montrose, Angus, on A935
Tel. 0 1674 810 264
Haughs of Kinnaird, Brechin
Tel. 0 1674 810 240
Web: Kinnaird Castle
Dundee; on the A90/92
Tel. 0 1382 432 020
Meigle, 7 miles (11.3km) west of Glamis, on B954.
Tel. 01828 640 612
Montrose Basin Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve
One mile south of Montrose on the A92 Montrose to Arbroath road; follow the brown signs from the centre of Montrose
Tel. 0 1674 676 336
Web: Scottish Wildlife Trust
House of Pitmuies, Forfar, Angus, .5 mile west of Friockheim
Tel. 0 1241 828 245
Web: Pitmuies Garden
Off the B9113, one mile north-east of Forfar, Angus
St Orland’s Stone
In a field near Cossans farm, 4.5 miles (6.8km) west of Forfar, Angus
St Vigeans Pictish Stones Museum
St Vigeans, one mile from Arbroath, off A92
Tel. 0 1241 878 756
Dundee, on the A90/92 at West Henderson’s Wynd
Tel. 01382 225 282
Photos by Barbara Ballard and
House Dun courtesy National Trust Scotland
Other photos courtesy Geograph Britain and Ireland as follows:
Dundee Discovery Ship courtesy Jim Barton
Verdant Works courtesy David Hawgood
Arbroath Abbey courtesy Ann Burgess; James Denham
Glamis thatched cottage courtesy Martyn Gorman
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Scotland Home Page]