South Dublin is between the river Liffey valley and the Dublin mountains, where neolithic monuments entice the walker. The river Liffey and its valley provide many recreational activities for visitors that include angling, canoeing, boating, golfing, and riverside walks. The area is home to a number of parks. South Dublin Attractions
Dodder Valley Park starts at the Dublin mountains and goes through South Dublin following the river Dodder’s valley. In the park are birds and small wild animals and an artificial waterfall. St. Enda's Park has riverside walks, a waterfall and a walled garden. There’s also a nature study centre.
Tymon Park is home to the River Poddle, wildfowl and four ornamental lakes.
South Dublin’s historic villages are Tallaght, Clondalkin, Lucan, Rathfarnham, Saggart, and Rathcoole.
Near the town of Lucan is the 120-acre Griffeen Valley Park. It takes its name from the river, a tributary of the Liffey, which flows through the rolling hills here. It is the site of King John’s bridge, the oldest bridge in Ireland, so it is said. Primrose Hill Garden is located in the town of Lucan.
Sean Walsh Memorial Park near Tallaght offers green parkland with ornamental gardens and a recreation area. Corkagh Park, near Clondalkin, has mature trees, woodlands, water features, and a park. Tallaght is the site of St. Mael Ruain's church, original home of the monastery called “Eyes of Ireland”, founded by the leader of the anchorite movement. The Vikings burned it in AD811; the parish church was built on the site.
Saggart has a number of prehistoric sites and was the site of a monastery in celtic times.
At Clondalkin 84 foot high 7th century Clondalkin Round Tower still has its original cap. The outside stairs are also thought to be original to the tower. The tower was part of a monastery founded by St Cronan or Mochua. The Vikings attacked the monastery in 832 and burned it in 1071.
Rathfarnham Castle, a National Monument, was constructed in 1588 and altered in the 18th century. It sits in the grounds of the park of the same name. The castle was once a home for the Jesuits. The castle interior offers rococo plasterwork. Also in Rathfarnham is the Padraig Pearse Museum. He was a nationalist who ran a school from 1910-1916 until executed for taking part in the Easter Rising, 1916. The museum has displays on flora and fauna of Ireland and an AV show on Pearse.
For opening times and full details of attractions see the Attractions section of our website.
Clondalkin Round Tower
Dodder Valley Park
Griffeen Valley Park
Padraig Pearse Museum
St. Enda's Park, Grange Road
Rathfarnham, Dublin 16
Tel. 0 1 493 4208
Primrose Hill Garden
Primrose Lane, Lucan
Tel. 0 1 628 0373
Rathfarnham, Dublin 14
Tel. 0 1 493 9462
Sean Walsh Memorial Park
St. Mael Ruain's church
Photos courtesy Geograph Britain and Ireland as follows:
River Liffey at Lucan, Dodder Valley Park pond, Poddle River, Royal Canal near Lucan, Clondalkin bridge on Grand Canal, Rathfarnham castle by JP; Lucan Hermitage golf club by Harold Strong; Dublin mts at Sean Walsh Memorial Park by Alan James; Rathcoole Inn on Main St at Rathcoole, Saggart main Street by Ian Paterson; Lucan weir on river Liffey by Warren Buckley; Tallaght tram by John Armistead; Clondalkin round tower by Paul Johnston-Knight
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Greater Dublin] [Ireland Home Page]