Go Back: [Top of Page] [Gardens
Coton Manor’s 10 acres of gardens were first laid out in 1925 and further extended over the ensuing years. In the grounds is the 17th century manor house, covered with climbing roses, clematis and shrubs.
York stone terraces are planted with containers containing 0pelargoniums, verbenas, heliotropes, salvias and Aaapanthus. Old yew and holly hedges slope down from the house as does the garden. In all there are over a thousand varieties of plants in the garden, all propagated in the nursery.
The extensive grounds contain a wildflower meadow (reclaimed in 1914 from arable use), a five acre bluebell wood, dells, a bog garden, orchards, a mid-summer border, red border, blue and yellow border, rose bank, water garden, pond, herb garden, gravel garden, woodland garden, and more. There is a woodland and a meadow walk.
There are tulips, spring bulbs, and snowdrops. The grounds are home to 15 types of ornamental birds that include flamingos, rodneys, and black necked swans. The flamingos are fed on a special diet to retain their colour.
There is a garden school with full and half day courses and a plant nursery.
Coton Manor Garden
9 miles north-west of Northampton off the A5519
Tel. 0 1604 740219
Open: April-end Sep, Tue-Sat and BH weekends, noon-5.30pm, last admission 4.45 pm.
Historic Houses Association member; café in the grounds; plant sales; parking across from the gardens in a field—elderly and handicapped may park at the garden; garden not wheelchair friendly
Web: Coton Manor Garden
All photos © by Barbara Ballard