Destinations-UK-Ireland
Destinations-UK-Ireland
HomeEnglandIrelandNorthern IrelandScotlandWales
New This Month
Home
England
Ireland
N. Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Articles
Attractions
Accommodation
Gardens
National Parks
Tourist Information
News
Books
Web Links
About Us
Contact Us

 

Wales Religious Sites

| A | | B | | C | | D | | E | | G | | H | | L | | M | | N | | P | | R | | S | | T | | U | | V | | W |

Aberconwy Abbey
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
Conwy, Caernarfonshire
On the A55
Cistercian abbey dated 1190-1240 founded by Llewelyn the Great, who is buried here along with other princes of Gwynedd; Edward I removed the abbey to a new site in 1283

Abergavenny Priory
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Abergavenny, on the A40/465
Benedictine cell; church survived for use as parish church, but is mostly modern; 14th century tower, Lady Chapel, presbytery, and medieval tombs worthy of note

All Saints Church
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
Gresford, on B5445
3 miles north of Wrexham
Rebuilt Perpendicular style church of the late 15th century with a 16th century pinnacled tower; exterior has much carving; old yews in the churchyard; church interior has camberbeam roofs and beautiful stained glass

Back To Top

Bangor Cathedral
Snowdonia
Bangor, Gwynedd
On the A5
Founded in 525, but nothing remains of the original structure; 12th century Norman church on the site destroyed by Edward I; rebuilt in 1291 but burned during Owain Glendower's rebellion in 1404; nave and tower are early Tudor; tombs of 13th century Welsh princes in south transept

Basingwerk
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
Access via the A548 and B5121 and Greenfield Valley Heritage Park
Near Flint, Flintshire
Cadw property; Savignac house founded in 1131; in 1147 became Cistercian; church dates from the 13th century

Bishop’s Palace
Pembrokeshire
Next to St David’s Cathedral
In the town of St David’s, (A487)
Tel. 01437 720517
Open: April-end Oct, 9am-5pm, daily; Nov-end March, 9.30am-4pm, Mon-Sat, on Sun, 11am-4pm
Cadw property; built between 1328-47; arcaded parapet and corbels decorate a number of the ruined buildings; great hall porch is most highly decorated part of the ruins; pay car park nearby; shop

Brecon Abbey
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Brecon
Dominican Friary founded circa 1250; domestic buildings are gone; church used as Christ College chapel; became public secondary school in 1855; chapel partially restored in 19th century, choir is 13th century with shafted lancets; 14th century arcade; two halls have 15th century timber roofs

Brecon Cathedral
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Cathedral Close, Brecon, on the A470
Tel: 0 1874 625 222 (Visitor Centre)
Open: visitor centre from mid-morning-4.30pm, daily from Easter-All Saints Day; for cathedral check website for service times
Visitor centre tells the story of the 13th and 14th century cathedral, once part of a Benedictine priory; much restoration; carved Norman font with stone cresset with 30 cups; choir vaulting is notable; parking; shop
Web: Brecon Cathedral

Back To Top

Caldey Island Priory
Pembrokeshire
Caldey Island
Reached by boat from the beach of the town of Tenby on the A478
Ruins of 12th century reformed Benedictine priory; domestic buildings later used as farm buildings; small (76 feet long, 47-foot high tower) old church is open; present day Benedictine monastery on the island closed to visitors; video on the abbey available for viewing
For photos and more details see our article Caldey Island

Chepstow Priory
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Chepstow, on the A48
Tel.01291 620980
Open: daily, year round, 9am-4.30pm
Benedictine priory founded following the building of the castle in 1068; five western bays survived to become a parish church added to in 1841; Norman nave with simple arcades and late Norman west front survive; fine decorated doorway is not to be missed

Church of St John
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
Cardiff city centre, off the M4
130-ft Perpendicular tower and Jacobean monument in the Lady Chapel

Ciffig Church
Carmarthenshire
Near Whitland, on the A40
Grade II 12th century church with a preaching window by the pulpit

Cymer (Cwmhir) Abbey
Snowdonia
Llanelltyd, near Dolgellau
On the A470
Tel. 01443 33 6000
Open: 10am-4pm
Managed by Cadw; Cistercian abbey remains date from 1198; 3 arched windows and tower are of note; on street parking

Back To Top

Denbigh Friary
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
Denbigh, Denbighshire
On the A543
Carmelite house founded in 1289; 13th century church is only remaining part of the monastery

Derwen Churchyard Cross
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
Minor roads from B5105 or A494 south of Ruthin
Open: open churchyard
Cadw property; ancient cross

Back To Top

Ewenny Priory and Church
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
Ewenny, on the B4524
South of Bridgend, Glamorgan
20 miles west of Cardiff
Priory is Cadw property; Benedictine house established circa 1141 by Maurice de Londres; 12th century nave of the priory now serves as the parish church; Saxon font; for complete details of the church, which has much of interest, a guide book is available.
Web: Ewenny Priory Church

Back To Top

Gwydir Uchaf Chapel
Snowdonia
Forest road off minor road
South-west of Llanrwst, on the B5106
Tel. 01443 33 6000
Open: chapel closed; view by prior arrangement with key keeper at 01492 641 687
Cadw property; church contains oak roodscreen with carvings of pigs; 1633 family chapel noted for its painted timber ceiling, monuments, brasses, and huge stone coffin

Back To Top

Haverfordwest Priory
Pembrokeshire
Haverfordwest, on the A40/A4076
Open: open site
Late 12th century Augustinian house; parts of church, cloister and chapter house remain

Holy Trinity
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
Marcross, off the B4265 near Llantwit Major
12th century restored church; Norman font, doorway and chancel arch

Holy Trinity
Carmarthenshire
Two miles from Llanegwad
Built in 1865 of local sandstone with a Gothic style bell tower; stained glass windows, wooden barrel vault nave, decorated interior with 25 frescoes; Bucknall was the architect

Holy Trinity
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Bettws near Clyro
On minor road by Rhydspence Inn
1878-9 rebuilt medieval church with 14th century roof, carved figures and rood screen; was a favourite place of diarist Rev. Francis Kilvert

Back To Top

Lamphey Bishop’s Palace
Pembrokeshire
Lamphey, from the A4139, Pembroke
Tel. 01646 672224
Open: year round; 10am-5pm, daily; Visitor Centre closed at times in winter, ruins open on those days 10am-4pm, access via side gate
Cadw property; ruined medieval retreat for bishops of St David’s; mainly the work of Henry de Gower, Bishop of St David’s from 1328 to 1347; later Tudor additions

Llanaber Church
Snowdonia
2 miles north of Barmouth, Snowdonia
Early 13th century church with flagstone floor and 16th century timber roof

Llanbadrig
Anglesey
Cemaes, on the A5025
Dramatically sited parish church that was, according to legend, founded by St Patrick in the 5th century

Llandaff Cathedral
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
Llandaff, off the A48 in greater Cardiff
Founded by Bishop Urban in 1107; most of choir, nave and west front date from 13th century; north-west tower dates from 1500; cathedral restored in Victorian times

Llaneilian Church
Anglesey
Llaneilian, off the A5025
15th century battlemented church with tower and spire; contains a carved oak screen and carvings on the roof beams; 14th century chapel built over site of St Eilan’s cell is on same site

Llanfihangel (Llanfihangel Castell Gwallter)
Ceredigion
Landre (Llanfihangel)
5 miles north of Aberystwyth
Church dedicated to St. Michael; 19th century restoration; contains 1573 communion cup; reported healing holy well below the lych gate; churchyard contains an ancient yew tree, circa 1800 years old

Llangadwaladr Church
Anglesey
Aberffraw, on the A4080
12th century church on burial ground of rulers of Gwynedd; Cadfan Stone (with inscription to King Catamanus) set into the wall of the church

Llangar Church
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
Off B4401 southwest of Corwen
Tel. 01490 412025 to view
Open: April-end Sep, 1-2.30pm, Wed-Sun; prior arrangement necessary through Rug chapel--tel above number
Cadw property; remote and rustic parish church, remodelled in early 18th century; features include extensive 15th century wall painting, 17th century figure, old beams and box pews, pulpit and minstrels’ gallery; interesting graveyard

Llantarnam Abbey
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Llantarnam
On minor road linking A4042 and A4051
Near Cwmbran
Tel. 01633 867317
Cistercian house founded 1179 and still a working abbey; visitors by prior arrangement; chapel always open for prayer; remains are part of the present buildings; medieval barn remnants with 11 bays

Llanthony Priory
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Minor road off A465 from Llanvihangel Crucorney, Monmouthshire
In secluded Vale of Ewyas
Open: open site
Cadw property; chapel dedicated to St David established here in 6th century; abbey founded circa 1118 by William de Lacy; abandoned in 1180; eight surviving early English arches and superb stonework decorations

Back To Top

Margam Abbey
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
On the A48/M40 near Port Talbot, Glamorgan
Open: open site
Founded in 1147; Margam Abbey once owned over 18,000 acres; some of the buildings, including the church, are now in a country park

Margam Stones Museum
Swansea, Gower, and the Vale of Neath
16-17th century inscribed stones
In early schoolhouse by Margam Abbey church, Port Talbot
Tel. 0 1639 871 184 (Wed and Fri only)
Open: April-end Sep, Wed-Sun, 10.30am-4pm
Cadw property; important 6th-17th centuries early Christian inscribed stones; parking

Back To Top

Neath Abbey
Swansea, Gower, and the Vale of Neath
5 miles north-east of Swansea, West Glamorgan, by the A465
Tel. 0792 812387
Founded in 1130 by Sauvignac monks, who later merged with the Cistercians; noted for its earthenware floor tiles

Back To Top

Patricio Church (Patn’show)
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
At the top of a hill in a remote valley of the Black Mountains
Six miles north of Abergavenny
Open: open most daylight hours
Dedicated to St Issui; church restored in the early 20th century; noted for beautifully carved 16th century rood screen and loft, medieval stone altars, wall paintings and many other interesting features; houses one of the oldest fonts in Wales

Penmon Priory
Anglesey
Off the B5109 at Penmon
Ruins of a 12th century Augustinian priory and holy well date back to the 6th century

Pill Priory
Pembrokeshire
Lower Priory Rd, 1 km north of Milford Haven (see map on website)
Tel. NA
Open: on private property; view from road
Pill Priory (also called Old Hubberstone priory) is 12th century Tironian priory; may have been daughter house of St Dogmael’s (near Cardigan); chancel arch of church survives, east wall of central tower, south wall of south transept; detailed century by century history on website
Note: This property is for sale as of March 2014
Web: Pill Priory

Back To Top

Rug Chapel
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
Near Corwen, off the A494
Tel. 01490 412025
Open: April-end Sep, 10am-5pm, Wed-Sun
Cadw property; highly decorated 17th century private chapel with carved angels, decorated timber roof, and other carvings

Runston Chapel
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
A48 to Crick, then minor road
Open: open site
Cadw property; small ruined chapel

Back To Top

St Aelhaiarn Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Guilsfield, Powys, on the B4392
Well-preserved medieval church (listed building) of national architectural interest; circular walled churchyard with outstanding examples of ancient managed yew trees of particular interest

St Andrew Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Presteigne, Powys, on the B4355
Large 13th-15th century church with architecture dating to the 9th century; Flemish tapestry and rood screen are among other features of note

St Asaph Cathedral
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
St Asaph, Denbighshire, on the A55
Norman church on the site burned by Edward I, rebuilt, then burned again in 1402 by Owain Glendower; William Morgan, bishop from 1601-04 and translator of the Bible into Welsh is buried in the cathedral

St Augustine Church
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
Penarth, south of Cardiff
Vale of Glamorgan, on the A4160
1866 grey limestone church considered masterpiece of neo-Gothic; saddleback tower copied from the old church that was here; interior has many colours and patterns

St Bartholomew Church
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Old Llanover, Monmouthshire
On the River Usk, on the right of the A4042 from Pontypool to Abergavenny
Place of worship since the early 12th century, originally called Llanddwfr; 13th century nave is earliest part of church and contain medieval rafters and font; 14th century rood loft stairs; 15th century window; 16th century brass plate, oak pews and altar rail, and many other interesting features; churchyard has remains of 6th century preaching cross

St Beuno Church
Snowdonia
Clynnog Fawr, Llyn Peninsula, Gwynedd
On the A499
Large Perpendicular church with timber roof; 16th century choir stalls and screen; barrel vaulted passageway; 16th century chapel

St Bilo Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Llanfilo, near the A438, Brecon
Open: locked, key details on porch notice board
Well preserved Norman and medieval church; rood screen, stone slab altars, 15th century bell and 18th century memorials, and pre Norman font

St Bridget (St Bride’s Major)
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
12th century Norman church; 16th century monuments and statuary

St Bridget Church
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Skenfrith, on the B4521
13th century church with squat tower and huge buttress; interior has Jacobean pew, 15th century embroidery, and tomb of last governor of the Three Castles (Grosmont, Skenfrith, and White)

St Brynach
Pembrokeshire
Nevern, on the B4582
Named after St Brynach of Pembrokeshire who founded a place of worship here in the 5th century; church was on pilgrimage route to St. David's; post-Norman tower; 13ft high, 10th-11th century patterned Celtic cross (in the churchyard) is notable among collection of 6th century engraved Celtic memorial stones (one is carved with Latin and Ogham writing); pilgrim’s cross; churchyard contains cypress trees and ancient yews (147 species)

St Brynach Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Minor road south of Brecon
Church records date from the 13th century; built in the Early English style; contains original stone benches

St Cadoc Church
Swansea, Gower, and the Vale of Neath
1.5 miles past Britannia Inn
Llanmadoc, Gower Peninsula
Open: key at Llanmadoc shop during opening hours
14th century church (restored in the 1800s) is called ‘cathedral of the Gower’; ‘Decorated’ period doorway; Norman font, 19th century carved choir stalls; altar rails, altar, and ceiling

St Cadocs Church
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
Llancarfan, Vale of Glamorgan (15 miles from Cardiff)
Originally site of a monastery; church rebuilt by Normans; building dates from 12-15th centuries, restored 1877; large medieval wall painting of St George and the Dragon partly uncovered; tower with 4 bells;

St Cattwg (St Cadoc) Church
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
Llanmaes, off the B4265 near Llantwit Major
Dates to 13th century; built on Celtic foundation; wooden rood screen, three bells, medieval wall paintings, Norman font

St Cattwg Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Llanspyddid on the A40 just west of Brecon
Open: no, locked
14th century nave and chancel; late Norman stoup, 13th century font; churchyard has two pillar stones dated 7th-9th century

St Cattwg Church
Swansea, Gower, and the Vale of Neath
Port Eynon, Gower Peninsula, on the A4118
Open: Easter-Oct, 9am-6pm, daily
12th century church (enlarged in 1860s) with Norman doorway, stained glass windows and memorials

St Cewydd Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Aberdw, off the B4567, south of Builth Wells
Mostly medieval church with an open rafter roof, medieval screen, and 19th century Gothic cast iron altar rail; 18th century monuments on the interior and exterior

St Ceyndd Church
Swansea, Gower, and the Vale of Neath
Llangennith, on minor road
Western end of Gower Peninsula
Open: weekdays 2:30-3:30pm during August; other times by appointment
Massive stone tower and saddleback roof; parish church is on site of St Ceyndd’s priory

St Cybi Church
Anglesey
Holyhead, on the A5
Church has unusual outline; chancel is 13th century with the rest being 15th-16th century; carvings on the parapet and in porch

St Cybi’s Well
Snowdonia
6.5 miles from Criccieth, by the B4354 and minor roads; then 10 minutes walk from Llangybi churchyard
Ruined stone buildings over a well to which curative powers were contributed

St Cynog Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Defynnog, on the A4067 near the A40
Open: no, locked
Built on site of a Celtic church of which part of the north wall, a window and font still survive; church dates from late 15th century

St Cynog Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Penderyn, on the A4059, near the A465
Open: no, locked
Some parts of a 1290 church survive; rest was rebuilt in 1895; large churchyard with monuments and views over the mountains

St David Church (Caldey Island)
Pembrokeshire
Caldey Island, reached by boat from Tenby
Church built on pre-Norman foundations

St David (Llandewi) Church
Swansea, Gower, and the Vale of Neath
Knelston, Gower Peninsula
Off the A4118
Open: in summer
13th century church with memorial slabs and large bell

St David Church
Ceredigion
Llanddewi Brefi near Tregaron, on the B4343
College founded here in 1187 by Bishop of St David’s; ancient monuments, partially destroyed by the rebuilding in 1800s; St David purported to have performed a miracle here

St David Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Cregrina, on the A481 east of Aberedew
Open
13th century nave; 15th century roof in chancel; medieval Radnorshire style screen; Norman font

St David Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Glascombe, nine miles west of Builth Wells
On country roads
Open
Founded by St David as centre of Celtic Christianity; 13th century nave has two original doorways; chancel dates from 15th century; part of wagon ceiling remains

St David Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Llanddew just north of Brecon
Open
Built on the site of Celtic Christian community; 12th century cruciform church contains 13th century lancet windows and transepts; 17th century tower; restored in early 20th century

St David Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Llywel on the A40 west of Trecastle
Open: no, locked
Founded in 5th century, but is mostly of late 15th century; contains Norman font and other items of interest

St David’s Bishops Palace
Pembrokeshire
town of St David’s; beside the cathedral of the same name
Tel. 0 1437 720517
Open: daily: April-end Jun, Sep-end Oct and March, 9.30am-5pm; July-end Aug, daily, 9.30am-6pm; Nov-end Feb, Mon-Sat, 10am-4pm, Sun 11am-4pm; closed 24-26 Dec and 1 Jan
Cadw property; ruins of medieval bishop’s palace date from 1328-47; two sets of state rooms around a courtyard; stone carvings; arcaded parapets; exhibition on building’s history; shop; parking in town

St David’s Cathedral
Pembrokeshire
The Close, St David’s, on the A487
Tel. 01437 720199/720204
Open: end morning prayer-end evening worship, daily; services on Sun; tours June-end Sep, 2.30pm weekdays
Considered finest church in Wales; St. David, patron saint of Wales, founded 6th century monastery here.; present cathedral built 1180; nave has coffered ceiling of painted oak; before the high altar is tomb of Henry VIII's grandfather, Edmund Tudor and, to the left, is St. David's shrine; cafe; shop; special musical events
Web: St David’s Cathedral

St Deinol Church
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
Hawarden, Flintshire on the A550
1857 church with Arts and Crafts marble monument in the Gladstone Memorial Chapel; stained glass window by Burne-Jones dated 1898

St Dogmael’s Abbey
Ceredigion
St Dogmael village (Llandudoch in Welsh)
On the A487 near Cardigan
Tel. 0 1239 615 389
Open: Coach House visitor centre, Easter-Oct,daily, 9.30am-4.30pm; Oct-Easter, Mon-Sat, 10am-4pm; grounds, open site
Cadw property; remains of 12th century Benedictine abbey; site first a Celtic church, then a Tironian house, established 1115; visitor centre; collection of early Christian stones; internet cafe; shop; parking; special tours and activities
Web: Coach House Visitor Centre

St Dyfnog Church
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
Llanrhaeadr
3 miles south-east of Denbigh on the A525
Named after 6th century saint who lived by this waterfall; double aisled church with a small tower and good carving; particularly noted for outstanding Jesse Window showing the genealogical tree of Christ growing from the chest of Jesse

St Edgwad Church
Carmarthenshire
Llanegwad, east of Carmarthen, on the A40
Only remaining building on the site where several monasteries and religious cells once existed; begun in 10th-11th century; restored in 19th century

St Edmund Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Crickhowell, on the A40
Open: 9am-dusk
Large 12th century church with 19th century side aisles; two stained glass windows by Charles Kempe and several memorials to local families

St Edwards Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Church St, Knighton (northern edge of the town)
Tel. 0 1547 528 566
Open: for services; otherwise check locally
Parish church with 14th cen west tower (restored) with eight bells in pergola on top; rest of church rebuilt in Victorian times with remnants in west walls of Georgian aisles; four bay aisled nave; south porch; tiled roof; rectangular church yard

St Eigon Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Llanigon, 3 miles southeast of Hay-on-Wye
Open: daylight hours
15th-17th century church with some Norman remains and 14th century south porch with upper storey, Norman font, and 17th century altar rails

St Elidyr Church
Pembrokeshire
Amroth, on minor road off the A477
Church granted to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem in 1150

St Elli Church
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Llanelli, near Gilwern, on the A4077
Open: contact vicar for key
Ancient yews in churchyard; Norman nave and 15th century nave

St Ellyw Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Llanelieu, Talgarth
On narrow road past Talgarth Church
Open: locked, key available, check church porch
13th century church with remains of 14th century rood screen and loft; painted timber screen; traces of medieval wall painting; west wall has 7th-9th century pillar stones

St Engan Church
Snowdonia
Llanengan, on the Llyn Peninsula, Gwynedd
Off the B4413
15th-16th century double-aisled church with flagstone floor, timber roof, and a screen

St Gallgo Church
Snowdonia
Bangor, on the A4087 by Menai Strait northern Caernarfonshire
Cruciform shaped church with ancient bell, 15th century chancel and parts of transepts and windows; Victorian wagon roof; associated with the story of a shipwreck (The Royal Charter)

St George's Church
Swansea, Gower, and the Vale of Neath
Reynoldston, Gower Peninsula, on minor road
Open: Tue, Thu, Sat in Aug, 2-4pm; other times by appointment
19th century church built on foundations of 13th century one

St Giles Church
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
Wrexham on the A534/483
One of the “Seven Wonders of Wales”; 136-ft high, three-stage tower (1506) with four corner turrets and minor pinnacles with sculpted figures of saints; interior has timber roof decorated with figures of angels, a 15th century wall painting, carved corbels, and an interesting monument; 18th century wrought iron gates

St Govan’s Chapel
Pembrokeshire
Perched down a cliffside, reached by steep flight of stairs
On Pembrokeshire coast near Bosherton and St David's
6th century hermit chapel of St Govan

St Hywyn Church
Snowdonia
Aberdaron, Llyn Peninsula, Gwynedd
On the B4413
Church was first built here in the 5th century; present church with its Norman doorway was restored in the 19th century

St Idloes Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire, Powys
On the A470
14th century squat tower; interior has Early English nave arcade and outstanding hammerbeam roof

St Illtud Church
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan
On the B4265
Tel. 01446 795551
Church is Grade 1 listed building and should not be missed; really two churches in one joined by a tower; one church is 13th century and contains a wall painting of St Christopher; original Norman church (rebuilt in the 15th century) contains a number of effigies and early Christian stones and crosses

St Illtud Church
Pembrokeshire
Caldey Island
Reached by boat from Tenby, on A478
Small 13th century church with pebble floor and Ogham stone; part of the monastic buildings on the island

St Illtyd Church
Swansea, Gower, and the Vale of Neath
Oxwich, Gower Peninsula
Medieval church with battlemented tower and painted chancel ceiling; supposed to mark site of original cell of St Illtyd

St Illtyd Church
Swansea, Gower, and the Vale of Neath
Ilston, Parkmill, Gower Peninsula
On minor road between B4271 and A4118
Open: in summer
13th century church with 6th century cell; very large yew tree in churchyard thought to date from same time as church

St James and St Elidyr Church
Pembrokeshire
Stackpole, on minor road off the B4319
Near Pembroke
Traditional cruciform church with tall, slender tower containing three bells;dates back to 12th century; restored in mid 1800s; has Minton tiles on chancel floor, 14th century vaulting in transepts; rib vaulting in Lort chapel; contains a number of monuments; lychgate is in the art nouveau style

St James Church
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
Wick, on the B4265 near Llantwit Major
Dates from 12th century; was part of Ewenny Priory; newer parts are in Early English style; medieval stone altar

St Jeffrey and St Oswald Church
Pembrokeshire
Jeffreyston off the B4586, north of Tenby
Originally a church belonging to the priory of Pembroke, granted to the canons of St David’s

St John the Baptist Church
Pembrokeshire
Carew, on the A4075
Built in Early English style; Carew Celtic cross is at head of village near the castle

St Llawddog Church
Carmarthenshire
Cenarth, on the A484
Church named after St. Llawddog, a 6th century patron of four churches in the diocese of St. David’s; 1872 church replaced an earlier church fallen into ruin; churchyard has a “sarsen” stone of millstone grit with an inscription cut into it, origin of stone shrouded in the past; bowl of church’s font dates from 12th century or earlier and was, at one time, used for pig trough

St Madoc Church
Swansea, Gower, and the Vale of Neath
Llanmadoc, one mile past the Britannia Inn
On minor road on west end of Gower Peninsula
Open: key at Llanmadoc shop during opening hours
Founded by St Madoc in 6th century; church rebuilt in the 13th century, then restored in the 1800s; 6th century stone, circa 7th century boundary marker; Norman font

St Maelog Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Llandefaelog, north of Brecon
Off the B4520 on minor road
Open: no, locked
17th century church with 15th-16th century tower; 19th century reredos; marble arcading; carved choir stalls; 13th century font; 16th century monuments; 10th century cross slab

St Maelrhys Church
Snowdonia
Llanfaelrhys, Llyn Peninsula
Single chamber church with medieval nave and later chancel; contains wooden benches and wooden box pews that date to the mid 19th century and a 15th century font

St Marcella Church
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
On minor road, one mile east from Denbigh
On the A525
Parish church remodelled in 15th century; double aisled interior; hammerbeam roof; carved corbels; monuments

St Margaret Church
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
Bodelwyddan, Denbighshire, on the A55
Large limestone 1860 church with 202 ft high tower and steeple; known as the “Marble Church” because of the 13 different kinds of marble in the interior

St Martin Church
Carmarthenshire
Laugharne, on the A4066
Cruciform shaped church with huge square tower supported by pointed arches; place of worship since Norman times; restored in 15th century and again in 1873; contains Celtic cross-slab, painted nave ceiling, brass chandelier, and many memorials; 15th century Italian brocade cope and church silver, not on display, but owned by the church; location of poet Dylan Thomas’s grave

St Mary and St Nicholas Church
Snowdonia
Beaumaris, Anglesey on the A545
Original garrison church built in 14th century for the castle; 16th century choir stalls with fine misericords; 15th century table tomb and stone coffin of Princess Joan (illegitimate daughter of King John and wife of Llywelyn the Great)

St Mary Church
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
Llandaff, six miles west of Cardiff
Refurbished 600-year-old medieval church

St Mary Church
Carmarthenshire
Just north of Llandovery, on the A483
Roman bricks were used to build part of church walls; grave of William Williams, famous composer of well-known hymns, most notably, “Guide me O Thou great Jehovah”

St Mary Church
Carmarthenshire
Kidwelly, on the A484

St Mary Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Bronllys, on junction of A438/A479
Open: locked, check porch for key location
Rebuilt Victorian church, with medieval font and 16th century screen;separate medieval bell tower with six bells

St Mary Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Builth, on the A470/A483
Church built on Norman foundation with a 14th century tower and 19th century nave, aisle and chancel; stained glass in east wall is by Kempe, 1877

St Mary Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Crickadarn, near Erwood
Off the A470 near Builth Wells
Open: no, locked
14th century church with 16th century tower and 15th century porch; restored in Victorian times

St Mary Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Llanywern, off many minor lanes
North-west of Llangorse Lake
Open: list of keyholders in church porch
Small 14th century church with 13th century font and 18th century monuments

St Mary Church
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
Mold, Flintshire on the A541/494
Large 1480s Perpendicular church, built by Margaret Beaufort (mother of Henry Tudor); considered one of finest parish churches in Wales; tower is 18th century; chancel is 19th century; nave has seven bays; much carving of animals and other figures in the church

St Mary Church
Pembrokeshire
High St, Haverfordwest, on the A40/4076
Large 13th century church with carvings and a 15th century tie beam roof

St Mary Church
Pembrokeshire
Tenby, on the A478
One of largest parish churches in Wales; 152-ft spire; original church was 13th century; enlarged 200 years later; chancel has wagon roof with carved bosses; church has many memorials from the 15th-19th centuries

St Mary Church
Snowdonia
Betws-y-Coed, on the A470
Large church built in 1873 in the village

St Mary Church
Swansea, Gower, and the Vale of Neath
Pennard, Gower Peninsula, on the B4436
Open: daily
13th century church with modern stained glass window; restored Victorian church with memorial tablets

St Mary Church
Swansea, Gower, and the Vale of Neath
Rhossili, south-west end of Gower Peninsula On the B4247
Open: daylight hours, Easter to autumn
Built circa 1200 with Norman doorway, stained glass windows, and leper’s window

St Mary Church
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Abergavenny, on the A40
Former priory church became a parish church; restored in the 19th century; oak stalls are 14th-15th century; Norman font

St Mary Magadelene
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
Monknash, off the B4265 near Llantwit Major Simple church on 12th century foundation (restored); stone pulpit

St Mary Magedelene
Carmarthenshire
St Clears, on the A40

St Mary the Virgin Church
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Welsh Newton, on the A466

St Mary’s and All Saints Church
Snowdonia
Conwy, town centre on A547
Tel. not given
Open: for services, otherwise check locally
Church dates from 1186, most today is 13th cen when it became parish church; restored in 19th cen with wooden roof ; once a Cistercian abbey; tower raised in 16th cen; 15th century carved wooden rood screen; medieval processional cross; Tudor font; large graveyard; mausoleum for Welsh princes

St Mary’s Priory Church
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Monmouth, on the A40
Religious site since 1101 when the church was part of a Benedictine priory; church restored in 1773, then remodeled in the 19th century; Norman and 14th century parts survive along with some medieval tiles; contains stained glass by Victorian artist, Charles Kempe

St Mary’s Priory Church
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Usk, Monmouthshire, on the A472
12th century Benedictine priory church for nuns; large Norman tower, 15th century roodscreen; organ; old brass memorial

St Matthew's Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Llandefalle, off the A470
Open: daylight hours
Site has had a church for 1500 years; tower, south porch and north wall are 13th century; some restoration in 15th century; contains painted fragments and rood screen

St Matthew's Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Llanelwedd
On the outskirts of Builth Wells, A483
Open
14th century tower; carved chancel screen with winged angels

St Mauritius Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Altmawr, 4 miles south of Builth
Open: locked, key at vicarage
One of smallest churches in Wales; built in 13th century with apse added in late 19th century; 18th century wooden windows and box pews

St Michael and All Angels
Pembrokeshire
Bosherston, on minor road off the B4319 South of Pembroke
Late 13th century Norman church, built in form of a cross, on site of a former church; restored in 1855 by first Earl of Cawdor, on whose estate the church was sited; his arms are in tiling of chancel and sanctuary floor

St Michael and All Angels
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Llanvihangel Crucorney
On A465 north of Abergavenny
Open: during daylight hours
Norman font and interesting corbels and other bits and pieces; lychgate, 15th century churchyard cross

St Michael's Church
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
Llanmihangel
Off the B4270 near Llantwit Major
Sited by Tudor manor house in farmland; no electricity; dates from 13th century with Norman foundation; 18th century silver chalice belongs to the church

St Michael's Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Bryngwyn, one mile north of B4594
Open: key at vicarage
Late 13th century nave, windows and bell, 1500s roof, 7th century cross

St Michael's Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Clyro, on the A438
Open: daylight hours
Dates from 12th century but rebuilt in 1853; church has five bells; Rev Francis Kilvert became curate in 1865 and wrote a diary of life of the times

St Michael's Church
Pembrokeshire
Rudbaston, off the A40
On minor roads 4 miles north of Haverfordwest
Early 13th century church with a 17th century Howard monument that covers the entire east wall of the south aisle

St Michael's Church
Snowdonia
Betws-y-Coed, on the A470
14th-15th century church, mostly original; contains effigy of a knight who served with the Black Prince

St Nicholas Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Montgomery, Montgomeryshire
On the B4385/86
13th century parish church has 19th century tower, 15th century screen, and outstanding 17th century canopied tomb; nave has timber roof

St Nicholas Church
Swansea, Gower, and the Vale of Neath
Nicholaston, Gower Peninsula, on the A4118
Open: no, locked
Remains of Celtic cross slab in the porch; Victorian restoration of earlier church; interior contains several kinds of marble and alabaster

St Nicholas Church
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Grosmont, Monmouthshire, on the B4347
Church has eight-sided tower and high spire

St Non's Church
Ceredigion
Llanerchaeron, off the A482
Open: same times as adjoining National Trust Mansion and Gardens, Llanerchaeron (see full details in our Attractions: Wales: Gardens listings
Designed by Nash; only domed church in Wales

St Non’s Chapel
Pembrokeshire
Minor road off A487, south of St David’s
Cadw property; rectangular building, the traditional birthplace of St David; nearby is a holy well

St Padarn Church
Ceredigion
Aberystwyth on the A44/487
Large church with 13th century square tower; collection of pre-Christian standing stones with Celtic carvings, circa 10th century

St Padarn Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Llanbadarn-y-Garreg
On minor road off the B4567 at Aberedew
Open: contact vicarage for key
White church, built 13th or 14th century with 17th and 18th century altar rails, wooden windows, and pulpit

St Paulinus Church
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Llangorse, on the B4560
Open: locked but list of keyholders by main door.
1300 font, 15th century church and barrel roof; early Tudor doors and windows; some mid 19th century refurbishment; church contains many features of interest

St Peter's Church
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
Ruthin, Denbighshire, on the A525/494
1284 church with double nave and camberbeam roofs; alterations occurred in 14th century; 19th century steeple added; churchyard has outstanding 18th century wrought iron gates

St Peter's Church
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Goetre (Goytre), off the A4042
From Pontypool to Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
Church site since the early 1500s; early Gothic church dismantled in the mid 1800s and rebuilt in the Early English style, with medieval roof surviving; Norman font, 1000-year-old yew alms dishes, and ancient oak chest

St Peter's Church
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Llanbedr, near Crickhowell, on the A40
Open: contact vicarage for key
14th-15th century church with some 19th century alterations; walls have 18th and 19th century tablets

St Peter’s Church
Carmarthenshire
Carmarthen, on the A40
Large church built of local red sandstone and grey shale; tower, nave, chancel, south aisle and Bishop’s court; thought to be on the site of Celtic pre-Norman church; recorded history dates from 1100 when it was conferred by Henry I on Battle Abbey; parts date from 13th century; 17th-19th century memorials in church are of famous people

St Petrox
Pembrokeshire
On the B4319, south of Pembroke
13th century church, dedicated to the 6th century saint, who visited Wales, Ireland and Cornwall; church has tall, narrow tower; mostly restored in the mid-1800s; several monuments in the church

St Rhidian and St Illtyd
Swansea, Gower, and the Vale of Neath
Llanrhidian, Gower Peninsula
On the B4271
Open: get key from Heron’s Way service station during opening hours
13th century church with 14th century tower and chancel; 9th-10th century stone with carvings thought to have Viking origins

St Senwyr
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
Llansannor, on minor road near Cowbridge(A48), Vale of Glamorgan
Only church in Wales dedicated to this saint; place of worship since 12th century; churchyard has lych gate and row of lime trees; church has saddleback roof, 16th century porch, sundial, wall painting and other architectural features of interest

St Stephen
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Old Radnor, on minor road off the A44
15th-16th century Perpendicular style church sited on high hillside; tower has arrowslits and battlements; font may be 8th century; 15th century stained glass window and 18th century monuments; 15th century screen goes across nave and aisles, considered best in Wales; early 16th century decorated organ case thought to be oldest in Britain

St Teilo
Mid Wales and Brecon Beacons
Llandeilo Graban
Minor road off the B4594 near Erwood
14th century nave and font, 17th century altar rails

St Teilo
Swansea, Gower, and the Vale of Neath
On minor road at Bishopton, Gower Peninsula Off the B4436
Open: get key from Lamplighter Shop in the village
12th and 13th century church with battlemented tower; interior has a 12th century font and 15th century oak hammerbeam roof

St Telli
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Llanthetty, halfway between Taybon-on-Usk and Llangynidr on B4558
One cell medieval building with early pillar stone

St Thomas the Martyr
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Monmouth, on the A40
Dedicated to Thomas a Beckett, Archbishop of Canterbury; built c1170-86; restored 1830 when a turret was added; Norman chancel arch, piscina, and two doorways

St Twynnell
Pembrokeshire
St Twynnell, on minor road off the B4319 South of Pembroke
St Twynnell (also named Gwynnoc or Gwynnog, among many other variations); church established in 1259 and once belonged to St Nicholas Abbey, Pembroke; mostly 13th century; consists of nave, chancel and sanctuary; square tower at west end containing 3 bells; church owns 1662 solid silver communion chalice and rare, pre-Reformation pewter paten and bread plate; near west porch is stone preaching cross

St Winefride’s Well
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
Holywell, off the A55, B5121
One hour by car from Manchester Airport
Tel. 0 1352 713 054
Open: well, interpretive exhibition and shop: April-end Sep, Sun-Fri, 9am-5.30pm, Sat 9am-5pm; Oct-March, daily, 10am-4pm. Museum: noon-4pm, Wed, Sat, Sun, April-end Sep and summer BH; certain days have services and pilgrimages
A well, reputed to have healing powers, and a chapel located on the site, a place of pilgrimage for 1300 years; chapel was built over the well in 1490 and has a camberbeam roof and carved corbels; library and museum related to the site; parking in town centre
For photos and more details see our article St Winefride’s Well
Web: St Winefride's Well

St Wonastow
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Wonastow, on minor road off A40
South of Monmouth, Monmouthshire
Open: key available from the vicar
First church on the site built in 7th century; 12th century church, restored in the 1860s; unusual hammerbeam roof supports; Norman cable moulding on font, 18th century bells

St Woolos Cathedral (St Gwynllyw’s)
Cardiff, Coast and Valleys of South Wales
Newport, off the M4, on Stow Hill
Parish church designated as a cathedral in 1930; 11th century nave contains many Norman features; 15th century tower; some of the columns may be Roman in origin; stained glass window in the east end is notable

Strata Florida Abbey
Ceredigion
Located off the B4343
14 miles (22.5km) southeast of Aberystwyth
Open: April-end Sep, 10am-5pm, Wed-Sun; open but unstaffed at other times
Cadw property; Cistercian abbey built in late 1100s; once most important abbey in Wales; several Welsh princes buried here; small church and graveyard next to abbey remains; visitor centre with exhibition/museum; garden; parking

Back To Top

Talley Abbey
Carmarthenshire
Talley, on the B4337
Open: open site
Cadw property; medieval Premonstratensian house founded by in 1184; unfinished nave

Tintern Abbey
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Four miles (6km) north of Chepstow Monmouthshire
Off the A466
Tel. 0291 689251
Open: daily: April-end Jun, Sep-end Oct and March, 9.30am-5pm; July-end Aug, 9.30am-6pm; Nov-end Feb, Mon-Sat, 10am-4pm, Sun 11am-4pm
Cadw property; Cistercian house founded circa 1131; church dates from 1150; rebuilt in late 13th century; site exhibition and audio tour

Back To Top

Usk Priory
Wye Valley and Vale of Usk
Usk, on the A472
Small Benedictine nunnery; shrine of St Radegund and was place of pilgrimage; Norman central tower remains, and below it is chancel of parish church; nave and north aisle are 14th century,; 15th century traceried screen and porches; only gatehouse remains of the domestic buildings

Back To Top

Valle Crucis Abbey
North Wales Coast and Borderlands
On the B5103 from the A5 west of Llangollen or A542 from Ruthin, Denbighshire
Open: open site, April-end Sep, 10am-5pm; other times unstaffed and open 10am-4pm
Cadw property; 13th century Gothic stone ruins of Cistercian abbey, founded by a Welsh prince; almost intact chapter house; virtual reality tours in restored summerhouse

Back To Top

Whitland Abbey
Carmarthenshire
Near Whitland, on the A40
Sparse remains of the Cistercian house moved to Whitland in 1151 from Carmarthen

Go Back: [Top of Page] [Attractions Main Page]


Be a Destinations-UK-Ireland Sponsor
© Destinations-UK-Ireland. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission is prohibited.
Site maintained by andyfellwalker
England | Ireland | N. Ireland | Scotland | Wales | About Us | Contact Us
.
United Kingdom England Ireland Scotland Wales