Destinations-UK-Ireland
Destinations-UK-Ireland
HomeEnglandIrelandNorthern IrelandScotlandWales
New This Month
Home
England
Ireland
N. Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Articles
Attractions
Accommodation
Gardens
National Parks
Tourist Information
News
Books
Web Links
About Us
Contact Us

 

Scotland Religious Sites

| A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | P | R | S | T | W

Abbot House Heritage Centre
Fife
Maygate, Dunfermline
Tel. 0 1383 733 266
1000 years of history on display in pink sandstone building; administrative headquarters of Scotland’s richest Benedictine abbey; abbey built by king David, son of Queen Margaret; burial place of Scottish monarch; graves of pilgrims in garden; visited by kings; served as abbot’s house, laird’s mansion, iron foundry, and art school; café; shop; exhibitions

Arbroath Abbey
Angus and Dundee
Arbroath, Angus
On the A92
Tel. 01241 878 756
Historic Scotland property; founded in 1178 by William the Lion. The Declaration of Arbroath (1320) declaring the independence of Scotland was drawn up here. Remains include gatehouse, entrance towers, south transept, abbey guesthouse, and the only surviving abbot’s house in Scotland; visitor centre; shop.

Ardchattan Priory
Argyll and Bute
On shore of Loch Etive
7 miles (11.3km) east of Oban, Argyll
Off the A828
In Ardchattan Garden
Historic Scotland property; founded about 1230, it is Scotland’s second oldest inhabited religious house; parts of the church and domestic buildings remain.

Back To Top

Balnakeil Bay Church
Highlands
On the A838 at the Bay by Durness
Ruined church dating to 8th century; contains tomb of Donald MacLeod, responsible for 18 deaths.

Beauly Priory
Highlands
Beauly, on A862
Tel. 0 1667 460 232
Historic Scotland property; ruin of priory founded in 1230; dates from 13-16th centuries; visited by Mary, Queen of Scots; parking.

Brass Rubbing Centre
Edinburgh and the Lothians
Trinity Aspe, Chalmers Close, Royal Mile, Edinburgh City
Tel: 0 131 556 4364
Located in only surviving fragment of Gothic Trinity College Church, founded c1460 by Queen Mary of Gueldres, wife of James II of Scotland; collection of replicas moulded from ancient Pictish stones, rare Scottish brasses and medieval church brasses; create your own brass rubbings or buy from the shop.

Brechin Cathedral and Round Tower
Angus and Dundee
Brechin town centre
On the A935 just off the A90
Historic Scotland responsible for 11th century round tower with carved doorway; viewed from exterior only; cathedral has collection of carved stones.

Back To Top

Cambuskenneth Abbey
Stirlingshire
One mile (1.6km) east of the town center of Stirling
Off the A907 on Alloa road, signposted
By foot use Riverside Dr in the city of Stirling
Remains of great 12th century Augustinian abbey used by Scottish Parliament; 13th century belfry; James III and Queen Margaret of Denmark are buried here.

Church of St Michael
Edinburgh and the Lothians
Linlithgow, Lothian
On the A803
15th century Gothic with later alterations, considered one of the largest and finest medieval churches.

Church of the Holy Rude
Stirlingshire
Stirling, on M9/A9
Scottish Gothic style church; built in stages; oldest part from early 15th century; nave has 15th century timberwork roof; massive exterior with buttresses between the great windows.

Cockburnspath Parish Church
The Borders
Cockburnspath, on A1
Unusual round tower in west gable of the church; sundial.

Coldingham Priory
Borders
Coldingham
Tel. NA
Founded in 1098 by Edgar, King of the Scots; became a priory in 1150; church built 1216 (two remaining walls) and new one 1300; part of St Abbs Head National Nature Reserve (National Trust for Scotland); 19th century church sits beside the ruins; was first northern house for St Cuthbert monks, then a Scottish monastic house up to reformation in 1560

Croick Church
Highlands
West of Ardgay village, Sutherland
Tel. not given on website
Designed by engineer Thomas Telford; built 1827; Highland families sheltered in church during the clearances and vandilized the windows by scratching messages on them
Web: Croick Church

Cross Kirk
The Borders
Cross Rd
Peebles
On the A72
Historic Scotland property; built in late 13th century; nave and west tower of Trinitarian Friary.

Crossraguel Abbey
Ayrshire and Isle of Arran
Two miles (3km) past the village of Maybole, Ayrshire
On the A77
Tel. 01655 883 113
Historic Scotland property; small roofless Cluniac monastery founded in 1244; extensive ruins including church, chapterhouse, gatehouse, cloister and tall tower house; parking.

Cullen Old Kirk
Grampian (Aberdeenshire and Moray)
Cullen, on the A98
16th century church with fine stone carvings.

Culross Abbey
Fife
Culross town
On the Firth of Forth, off the A985
Tel. Culross Palace 0 1383 880 359
Historic Scotland property; remains of Cistercian monastery founded in 1217; ruins of nave, cellars and domestic buildings; eastern part of abbey church forms part of the present parish church; by foot from nearby parking on shores of the Forth
See our article on Culross

Back To Top

Deer Abbey
Grampian (Aberdeenshire and Moray)
Near Old Deer west of Peterhead
Two miles west of Mintlaw on A959030
Tel. 01667 460 232
Historic Scotland property; remains of 1219 Cistercian monastery; “Book of Deer”, one of the oldest documents in Scottish literature, was written in the village of Old Deer; parking.

Dornoch Cathedral
Highlands
Dornoch, opposite Dornoch castle
Tel. see website for specific people to contact
Church of Scotland; 13th century parish church, first service 1259; during 1570 clan feud it was set on fire and almost destroyed; part restored 1616; 1835-37 restoration; gargoyles; tower with bells; piscina; stained glass windows
Web: Dornoch Cathedral

Doune Church
Grampian (Aberdeenshire and Moray)
Macduff, on the A98
Unusual clock tower with only 3 of the 4 sides having faces.

Dryburgh Abbey
The Borders
Five miles (8km) southeast of Melrose
Follow B6356 towards Dryburgh and turn right on B6404 after passing Scott’s View; then follow the road for 6 miles (10km) to the Abbey.
Tel. 01835 822 381
Historic Scotland property; substantial Premonstratensian ruins from 12th and 13th centuries in beautiful secluded setting on River Tweed; grave of Sir Walter Scott is in the north transept; parking.

Dunblane Cathedral
Stirlingshire
Dunblane
North of Stirling on the B8033
Just off the M9
Tel. 01786 823 388
Historic Scotland property; founded about 1150 by David I; 12th century tower, beautifully designed west front; 210 ft long interior; great window with tree of Jesse; carved stalls; wooden barrel vaulted roof; Lady chapel; Dean’s House contains museum.

Dundrennan Abbey
Dumfries and Galloway
Dundrennan
6.5 miles(10km) south-east of Kirkcudbright On the A711
Tel. 01557 500 262
Historic Scotland property; Cistercian house founded in 1142 by King David I; transepts, west wall, remains of chapter house; Mary Queen of Scots last night in Scotland spent here; parking.

Dunfermline Abbey and Palace
Fife
St. Margaret St, Dunfermline
On the A994, off the M90
Tel. 01383 739 026
Historic Scotland property; Benedictine priory founded by Queen Margaret in 1070s; substantial remains of church, domestic buildings and palace; burial place of Malcolm III, Queen Margaret, David I, Roberth the Bruce; royal lodgings were birthplace of Charles I; views of the glen.

Dunkeld Cathedral
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
Dunkeld
On the A923
Historic Scotland property; riverside setting on banks of the Tay; roofless 15th century nave (Gothic tower) and 14th century choir; small museum on local history; choir is now parish church; small shop; red squirrels in the grounds; parking.

Back To Top

Earl’s Bu and St Nicholas Church
Orkney Isles
8 miles (13km) west-south-west of Kirkwall, on the island of Mainland, Orkney at Orphir
Tel. 01856 721 205 or 01856 841 815 (Skara Brae)
Historic Scotland property; scant remains of possible Viking residence; ruins of only surviving medieval circular church in Scotland, built in the first half of the 12th century; parking nearby.

Eassie Old Church
Angus and Dundee
Eassie, Angus, off A94 near Glamis
Tel. NA
Historic Scotland property; inside is elaborately sculptured monument with decorated Celtic cross and Pictish symbols.

Elgin Cathedral
Grampian (Aberdeenshire and Moray)
Elgin
On the A941
Tel. 01343 547 171
Historic Scotland property; ruins; founded in 1224; burned in 1390; twin west front towers standing; east end has impressive rose window; Pictish stone, tomb effigies, 13th century octagonal chapter house.

Eynhallow Church
Orkney Isles
On the island of Eynhallow, Orkney
Reached only by private hire boat from Mainland, Orkney or Rousay
Tel. 01856 841 815 (Skara Brae)
Historic Scotland property; ruins of 12th century church and domestic buildings.

Back To Top

Fearn Abbey
Highlands
On B9165, Easter Ross
Religious center as early as the 5th century; abbey founded in the 13th century; roof collapsed in 1742 and killed 42 people (prophesied in 16th century by a seer).

Fortrose Cathedral
Highlands
Fortrose, on the A832
Tel. 0 1667 460 232
Historic Scotland property; 13th century red sandstone cathedral mostly a ruin; vaulted undercroft, parts of nave and chapter house still standing; additions made in 1400s; monuments and memorials.

Back To Top

Glasgow Cathedral
Greater Glasgow and the Clyde Valley
Cathedral Square, Glasgow
Tel. 0141 552 6891 or 0141 552 0988
Historic Scotland property; Gothic cathedral built during 13th-15th centuries; Elaborate vaulted crypt, timber roof, unique stone screen; lower church has tomb of St Mungo, Glasgow’s patron saint
Web:Glasgow Cathedral

Glenluce Abbey
Dumfries and Galloway
On minor road two miles (3km) northwest of the village of Glenluce
Off the A75
Tel. 01581 300 541
Historic Scotland property; impressive ruined Cistercian monastery, founded around 1190; 16th century chapter house with part of original tiled floor and water pipes still in place; exhibition of objects excavated from the site; parking.

Greyfriar’s Kirk
Edinburgh and the Lothians
Greyfriar’s Place
Tel. 0131 225 1900
Historic Church of Scotland building on grounds of former Francsican convent; first church built after Reformation in Scotland (little of original church remains due to fires and explosion); museum with artifacts and historical information, including copy of original covenant; services held (see website for times); ancient monuments in graveyard; arts venue; made famous by Skye terrier Bobby who guarded master’s grave in the churchyard for 14 years, buried just by the graveyard.
Web: Greyfriar’s Kirk

Back To Top

Holyrood Abbey
Edinburgh and the Lothians
Edinburgh
On the grounds of Holyrood Palace
At the foot of Cannongate (end of the Royal Mile)
Historic Scotland property; built by David I around 1128 and sacked several times by the English; roofless nave is all that remains; some sculpted details; royal burial vault with remains of David II, James II, James V and Lord Darnley.

Back To Top

Inchcolm Abbey and Island
Fife
Inchcolm Island
Firth of Forth
Reached by ferry from South Queensferry off A90, just west of Edinburgh
Tel. 01383 823 332; for ferry information phone 0131 331 5000
Historic Scotland property; Augustinian abbey with well-preserved buildings include a 13th century octagonal chapter house, 14th century cloisters and parts of the church; show Historic Scotland membership card when paying ferry fee so abbey entrance fee will be deducted.

Inchmahome Priory
Stirlingshire
On an island in Lake Menteith
On the A81 near Aberfoyle
Reached by ferry from Port Menteith, 8 miles south of Callander off the A81
Tel. 01877 385 294
Historic Scotland property; Ruined Augustinian priory founded in 1238, much remains; five-year-old Mary Queen of Scots was sent here for safety in 1547; woodlands, lake, wildlife; parking at ferry.

Innerpeffray Chapel
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
Off B8062 four miles (6km) south of Crieff and before Auchterarder
Historic Scotland property; rectangular collegiate church founded in 1508; altar; some painted details; adjacent 18th century historic library (not HS); parking.

Iona Abbey, Nunnery, and Cross
Hebrides
On island of Iona, Inner Hebrides
Governed by Argyll
Reached by ferry from Oban, then overland by bus or car on Mull Island, then by passenger-only ferry to Iona Calmac Ferries (for ferries and bus information). Day trips run in summer from Oban to Iona; Tel. Oban TIC at 01631 563 122 for details
Open: all year, depending on ferries
Historic Scotland property; abbey founded in AD563 by St Columba, an Irish missionary, became a center of Celtic Christianity; Benedictine abbey founded in the 13th century, made a cathedral in 1500. Also on the island are MacLean's Cross--15th century, and 180 other medieval carved stones and crosses, the ruins of a 13th century Augustinian nunnery and St Oran’s Chapel; burial place of Macbeth; shop.

Italian Chapel
Orkney Isles
On Lamb Holm from Mainland, Orkney
On the A961
Two Nissan huts converted into a chapel by World War II Italian prisoners of war; rood screen and fresco paintings.

Back To Top

Jedburgh Abbey
Borders
Tel. 0 1835 863 92
Historic Scotland property
Famous Border abbey founded in 1138 by David I as an Augustinian priory; roofless but mostly complete abbey church; foundations are all that remains of the cloister buildings; museum; video.

Back To Top

Kelso Abbey
The Borders
Kelso, on the A698
Open: open site daily; Jan-end March, apply to the keykeeper
Historic Scotland property; pillaged for stone after its destruction, little remains of this 1128 abbey, once the Borders greatest and richest; west front and tower are the most interesting part; James III was crowned here.

Kilchatton Church
Hebrides
Toberonochy, on island of Luing, Inner Hebrides
Governed by Argyll
Ruins of a medieval church and graveyard.

Kilwinning Abbey
Ayrshire and Isle of Arran
Kilwinning, North Ayrshire
On the A737
Historic Scotland property; Benedictine abbey founded between 1140/1162; great west doorway, south wall of nave, and the gable of the south transept are preserved.

Kincardine O’Neil Church
Grampian (Aberdeenshire and Moray)
Kincardine O’Neil
On the A93
Fine ruined church of 1233 built as a resting place for travellers.

King’s College Chapel
Grampian (Aberdeenshire and Moray)
On college campus at Aberdeen
On the A90/93/96
Founded in 1495 and built in the Gothic style; famous for its Renaissance crown spire and rare group of medieval carved fittings.

Kinkell Church
Grampian (Aberdeenshire and Moray)
Two miles (3km) south of Inverurie (A96)
On unclassified road off B993 to Whiterashes
Tel. 01667 460 232
Historic Scotland property; ruins of 16th century parish church with fine sacrament house.

Kirkmadrine Church & Stones
Dumfries and Galloway
Kirkmadrine, Sandhead, Rhins peninsula
Tel. not given
Christian site from 5th century; inside the restored church are 8 stone memorials and monuments, one from AD 500, others 8-12 centuries.

Back To Top

Largs Old Kirk and Monument
Ayrshire and Isle of Arran
Largs, Ayrshire
On the A78/A760
Tel. 0131 668 8800
1636 monument in church, erected for Sir Robert Montgomerie of Skelmorlie; contains elaborate carved stone tomb, painted timber ceiling.

Lincluden Collegiate Church
Dumfries and Galloway
Abbey Lane, on western edge of Dumfries (A75/76)
Historic Scotland property; remains of 1389 church with beautiful chancel and the monumental tomb of Princess Margaret, daughter of Robert III.

Back To Top

Melrose Abbey
The Borders
Melrose, on the B6360
Tel. 01896 822 562
Historic Scotland property; one of the most famous ruins in Scotland; founded in 1136 by David I as Cistercian abbey; substantial Gothic ruins of the abbey date from the reconstruction of 1400; Robert the Bruce’s heart is reportedly buried here; Commendator's House contains collection of objects found during excavation; audio tour; parking.

Monymusk Church
Grampian (Aberdeenshire and Moray)
Monymusk, off the B993 on unclassified road
Norman church of the 12th century—remains of Augustine priory.

Muthill Old Church and Tower
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
Muthill
3 miles (5km) south of Crieff (A85)
Historic Scotland property; 12th century ruins of important medieval parish church with tall Romanesque tower; remains mostly from 15th century.

Back To Top

Nigg Old Church
Highlands
Nigg, Ross and Cromarty
Tel. not given on website
Scottish parish church, rebuilt 1626, stands on place of worship for 1200 years; bell dated 1624; north aisle; balconies/ 8th century carved Pictish cross slab; carved gravestones; site of religious revival in 1739; parking
Web: Nigg Old Church

Back To Top

Paisley Abbey
Greater Glasgow and the Clyde Valley
Abbey Close
Paisley, Renfrewshire
On the M8/A726, just west of Glasgow
Parish church of the Church of Scotland; 15th century restoration; west front doorway is 13th century; unusual corbelled galleries; stained glass; shop; cafe
Web: Paisley Abbey

Pierowall Church
Orkney Isles
On the island of Westray, Orkney.
Reached by ferry from the island of Mainland.
Ruins of 17th century church with finely lettered tombstones.

Back To Top

Restenneth Priory
Angus and Dundee
Off the B9113
One mile north-east of Forfar, Angus
Historic Scotland property; Augustinian priory founded by David I; chancel and tall square tower with spire; parking.

Rosslyn Chapel
Edinburgh and the Lothians
Roslin, Lothian
7 miles (11.3km) south of Edinburgh on the A701
Tel. 0131 440 2159
Also known as St. Matthew’s Collegiate Church. Unique building with interior of intricate and elaborate carved stone; magnificent barrel roof; exterior has pinnacled flying buttresses, heraldic roof cornice, corbels, canopies, niches and decorative sculpture
Web: Rosslyn Chapel

Ruthwell Cross
Dumfries and Galloway
On the B724 at Ruthwell
Within the parish church
8 miles (13km) southeast of Dumfries
Historic Scotland property; Anglian sculptured cross dates from 7th century; considered a major monument of Dark Age Europe.

Back To Top

Scone Abbey
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
2 miles north of Perth
Tel. NA
House of Augustinian canons founded c1120 as priory, then became abbey 1164; housed Scotland’s coronation stone (confiscated by King Edward I); one of the Scottish kings’ chief residences; mostly destroyed during Reformation in 1559; architectural fragments only remain; Scone Palace same location; parking.

Seton Collegiate Church
Edinburgh and the Lothians
1 mile (1.6km) south-east of Cockenzie, Lothian
Off the A198
Tel. 01875 813 334
Historic Scotland property; 15th century chancel and apse; transepts and steeple were added by the widow of Lord Seton, who was killed at Flodden in 1513; parking.

St Andrews Cathedral and St Rule’s Tower
Fife
St Andrews, on the A91
Tel. 01334 472 563
Historic Scotland property; remains of Scotland’s largest cathedral, established in 1160; 16th century precept walls, 12th and 13th century gables and south wall still stand. St Rule’s Tower, in the cathedral, is part of the first Augustinian church on the site. Countryside views from the top of the tower; museum with collection of early Christian and medieval monuments and relics.

St Andrews Church
Edinburgh and the Lothians
North Berwick, Lothian
On the A198
1500s church noted for the 1591 gathering of “witches”, supposedly addressed by the devil, who were plotting to kill James VI.

St Bean’s Church
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
Off A85 on minor road at Fowlis Wester
East of Crieff
Restored 13th century church with leper’s squint, a special window for lepers to watch the service; Pictish cross-slab in the church; St Bean was grandson of the king of Leinster, Ireland.

St Blane’s Church
Argyll and Bute
At the south end of Isle of Bute
Historic Scotland property; 12th century Romanesque chapel within a Celtic monastery; bell from the monastery is at Dunblane; parking.

St Bride’s Church
Greater Glasgow and the Clyde Valley
Douglas, South Lanarkshire
18 miles (29km) southeast of Glasgow
On the A70
Tel. 01555 851 657
Historic Scotland; choir and south side of nave are 14th century church with oldest working clock in Scotland; three canopied monuments to Black Douglas family; tomb of Sir James Douglas.

St Bridget’s Kirk
Fife
Dalgety
Off A921 on the shores of the Firth of Forth
Two miles (3km) southwest of Aberdour
Historic Scotland property; shell of medieval church, altered in 1600s; burial vault with laird’s loft built for the Earl of Dunfermline.

St Clement’s Church
Hebrides
Rodel, on the A859, Isle of Harris
Governed by Western Isles council
Tel. 0 1851 710 395 (The Blackhouse, Arnol)
Historic Scotland property; 16th century church, built by 8th chief MacLeod of Dunvegan and Harris; inside is his carved tomb; outstanding group of late medieval sculptures.

St Columba’s Chapel
Hebrides
On the island of Canna, Inner Hebrides
Governed by Highland
Remains of a 7th century chapel.

St Conan’s Church
Argyll and Bute
On southeastern slopes of Ben Cruachan
On A85 at Loch Awe, Argyll
Built from 1881 through 1931; elaborate carvings, woodwork, unusual mixture of styles and fragments from Iona Abbey.

St Ebba Monastery
Borders
One mile north of St Abbs, Borders, Scotland
Tel. NA
7th century; burned down in 683; remnants only remain

St Fergus Church
Highlands
High St, Wick
Tel. not given on website
Third church on this site; repairs and renovations over the centuries (had thatched roof in the 1700s); steeple collapsed into churchyard in late 1700s necessitating new building of such poor quality it was condemned; new church completed 1830; balcony now the sanctuary with ground floor serving different groups
Web: St Fergus Church, Wick

St Giles Cathedral
Edinburgh and the Lothians
Edinburgh
On the Royal Mile
Tel. 0131 225 9442
15th century church serves as High Kirk of Edinburgh; delicate crown spire of 1495, massive central pillars of 1120; Thistle Chapel, in Gothic style, has fan-vaulted ceiling, carvings, heraldic and religious details; shop, restaurant (check website for open hours)
Web: St Giles Cathedral

St John’s Kirk
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
St John's Square
Perth, on M90/A9
In pedestrian square with nearby car parks
Tel. 01738 621818
Church of Scotland; site of John Knox’s famous sermon in 1559
Web: St John's Kirk

St Machar’s Cathedral
Grampian (Aberdeenshire and Moray)
Old Aberdeen, on A92
Tel. 01224 485988
Nave and towers used as a church today; ruined transepts in care of Historic Scotland;unique flat, wooden medieval ceiling with heraldic designs; tomb of Bishop Dunbar (1514-32); bells hung for change ringing; shop
Web: St Machar's Cathedral

St Magnus Cathedral
Orkney Isles
Kirkwall
On the island of Mainland, Orkney
Reached by ferry from John o’ Groats or by plane
Tel. 01856 874894
Begun in 1137 in honor of St Magnus, Earl Magnus of Orkney; well preserved medieval cathedral, Norman in character, built of alternating bands of red and yellow sandstone.

St Martin’s Kirk
Edinburgh and the Lothians
Haddington, Lothian
On eastern edge of town, on A1
Historic Scotland property; ruined nave of Romanesque church, altered in 13th century.

St Mary’s Chapel
Argyll and Bute
Rothesay, Isle of Bute
Historic Scotland property; late medieval remains of chancel of parish church; two tombs.

St Mary’s Church
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
Two miles (3km) northeast of Aberfeldy
Signposted off A827, behind some farm buildings
16th century parish church with outstanding painted wooden ceiling.

St Mary’s Church, Kirkheugh
Fife
St Andrews, on the A91
Situated at the edge of the cliff behind St Andrew's cathedral
Historic Scotland property; scant foundations of the earliest collegiate church in Scotland.

St Mary’s Parish Church
Edinburgh and the Lothians
Haddington, Lothian
On the A1
Tel. 0 1620 829 354
Listed 14th-15th centuries building and the largest parish church in Scotland; shop; teas.

St Matthew's Church
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
Tay St, Perth
Tel. 0 1738 636 757
Church of Scotland church dates from 1871; stone church with slate roof; seats 1000 people
Web: St Matthews Church

St Michael’s Parish Church
Edinburgh and the Lothians
Kirkgate, Linlithgow
Tel. 0 1506 84 2 188
OChurch consecrated in the 13th century; associations with Mary Queen of Scots.

St Ninian’s Chapel
Dumfries and Galloway
Physgill
Four miles (6km) south-west of Whithorn
On the A747
Five minute walk from the pier
Historic Scotland property; restored ruins of 13th century chapel thought to be where St Ninian landed; parking.

St Peter’s Kirk and Parish Cross
Grampian (Aberdeenshire and Moray)
Duffus
On the B9012, northwest of Elgin
Historic Scotland property; roofless remains with 14th century tower and 16th century porch; 14th century cross; burned by Edward I in 1298.

St Triduana’s Chapel
Edinburgh and the Lothians
In Restalrig Collegiate Church
Off Restalrig Road South, on east side of Edinburgh
Historic Scotland property; unique hexagonal vaulted chamber; lower part of a chapel built by James III; shrine of a Pictish saint.

Sweetheart Abbey
Dumfries and Galloway
New Abbey
On the A710
Seven miles (11.3km) south of Dumfries
Tel. 01387 850 397
Historic Scotland property; 13th century Cistercian abbey; beautiful red sandstone ruins; parking.

Back To Top

Tullibardine Chapel
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
Near Crief, off the A823
Two miles north-west of Auchterarder
Historic Scotland property; one of most complete and unaltered small medieval churches in Scotland, built in 1446 and rebuilt in 1500.

Back To Top

Westside Church
Orkney Isles
Tuquoy, on the island of Westray, Orkney. Reached by ferry from island of Mainland, Orkney.
Tel. 01856 872044 (ferry service)
Historic Scotland property; roofless 12th century Romanesque church with nave and chancel; one of the best preserved medieval churches of Orkney.

Whithorn Priory
Dumfries and Galloway
Whithorn, on the A746
Tel. 01988 500 508
Historic Scotland property; site of first Christian church in Scotland, founded by St Ninian in AD 397; became cathedral church of Galloway; Visitor’s Centre and museum with display of carved stones; parking.

Go Back: [Top of Page] [Attractions Main Page]


Be a Destinations-UK-Ireland Sponsor
Destinations highly recommends
The Clachan B and B
A real Highland welcome and great rooms in Wick
Destinations highly recommends
The Rowan Tree B and B
Fantastic welcome and great rooms
on North Uist, Outer Hebrides

Take a CalMac Ferry to the Hebrides
CalMac stack logo

© Destinations-UK-Ireland. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission is prohibited.
Site maintained by andyfellwalker
England | Ireland | N. Ireland | Scotland | Wales | About Us | Contact Us
.
United Kingdom England Ireland Scotland Wales