Destinations-UK-Ireland
Destinations-UK-Ireland
HomeEnglandIrelandNorthern IrelandScotlandWales
New This Month
Home
England
Ireland
N. Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Articles
Attractions
Accommodation
Gardens
National Parks
Tourist Information
News
Books
Web Links
About Us
Contact Us

 

Scotland Historic Buildings

| A | B | C | D | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | P | R | S | T | V

Aberfeldy Water Mill
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
Aberfeldy, on the A826/A827
Tel. 01887 820 803
1825 restored mill, producing stone-ground oatmeal.

Argyll’s Lodging
Stirlingshire
Stirling, just below Stirling castle
Tel. 0 1786 431 319
Historic Scotland property; town residence of Earls of Argyll; most complete example of 17th century town home in Scotland; restored and furnished
For photos and more information see our article Argyll’s Lodging

Arnol Black House
Hebrides
Off the A858, west of the village of Barvas, on the island of Lewis, Outer Hebrides
Governed by the Western Isles council
Tel. 0 1851 710 395
Historic Scotland property; thatched house depicts how people lived on Lewis in the traditional way; fully furnished; attached barn, byre and stackyard; 1920s whitehouse and ruined blackhouse also on property; visitor centre; interpretative displays; parking; shop; café.

Auchindrain Township
Argyll and Bute
Furness, Inveraray
Auchindrain
On the A83, 6 miles (10km) south-west of Inveraray, Argyll
Tel. 0 1499 500 235
Open-air folklife museum of the West Highlands; history dates back over 1000 years; display centre, houses, barns and byres; tea-room; shop
Web: Auchindrain Township

Back To Top

Balcarres Craig Folly
Fife
Colinsburgh, on the B942
An 1813 sham castle with ruined arch and walls, arrowslits, arches and windows; ruined chapel on the property serves as a mausoleum.

Barry Mill
Angus and Dundee
Barry near Carnoustie, Angus, on the A930
Tel. 0 1241 856 761
National Trust for Scotland property; 19th century water powered meal mill; rebuilt in 1814 due to a fire; original machinery restored and working; demonstrations on weekend afternoons.

Bishop’s and Earl’s Palaces
Orkney Isles
Kirkwall, Mainland Island
Tel. 0 1856 875 461
Historic Scotland property; Bishop’s Palace is 12th century hall house, altered, with a tower built in mid 1500s; adjacent Earl’s Palace built early 1600s in Renaissance style.

Bonawe Historic Iron Furnace
Argyll and Bute
By the village of Taynuilt, off the A85
At the head of Loch Etive
Tel. 0 1866 822 432
Historic Scotland property; most complete charcoal fuelled ironworks in Britain; founded 1753; displays explain the industrial heritage of the area and how iron was made; parking; picnic area; shop.

Bonawe Iron Furnace
Argyll and Bute
By the village of Taynuilt, Argyll
Off the A85/B845 at head of Loch Etive
Tel. 0 1866 822 432
Historic Scotland property; founded in 1753, this is most complete remaining charcoal fueled ironworks in Britain; display showing the process of iron making; parking.

Back To Top

Calton Hill Folly Group
Edinburgh and the Lothians
On Calton Hill, Edinburgh, Lothian
Built circa 1800, this group of follies consists of the unfinished National Monument (a replica of the Parthenon), the Playfair Monument, which is a base with a tomb and pillars and other Greek style monuments.

Cammo Tower
Edinburgh and the Lothians
On minor road by the Edinburgh airport, at Turnhouse, below Corstorphine Hill.
Built in 1871. Tall 4 storey round tower topped with a parapet.

Cape Wrath Lighthouse
Highlands
Durness, Sutherland
reached by ferry, then by minibus
Tel. 0 1971 511 284; mobile: 0 7742 670 196
1828 lighthouse on cliffs overlooking ocean; tower of hand-dressed stone; other buildings of granite; 81 steps to top; trip takes 2.5 hours return with schedule depending on tides and weather; cafe in old lighthouse keeper’s quarters; car parking at ferry port
Web: Cape Wrath Lighthouse

Captain Fraser’s Folly
Isle of Skye
On the A87, at Uig
Owned by the Uig Hotel and built in 1870, this little tower has arched windows and arrowslits.

Castle Lodge
Highlands
Thurso on the A9
Built in 1875 in Gothic Revival style; folly is an ornate building with a square block, tower and turrets.

Culsh Memorial
Grampian (Aberdeenshire and Moray)
New Deer, Grampian
Off the A981/A948
Built in 1876, this tower, topped by a spire, is restored and can be climbed.

Back To Top

Dalgarven Mill
Ayrshire and Isle of Arran
Dalgarven, Kilwinning
Tel. 01294 552448
1640 mill rebuilt in 1880 after a fire; Garnock waters power a 6-metre diameter breast-shot wheel that drives French burr millstones through cast iron gearing; wheel turns when possible. Riverside walk, coffee shop; Museum of Ayrshire Country Life and Costume on site; 30 minutes from Glasgow
Web: Dalgarven Mill

Dallas Dhu Distillery
Grampian (Aberdeenshire and Moray)
One mile (1.6km) south of Forres
Off the A940
Tel. 01309 676 548
Historic Scotland property; perfectly preserved 1898 distillery making malt whisky; AV presentation; parking.

Doonhill Homestead
Edinburgh and the Lothians
Two miles (3km) south of Dunbar
Off the A1
Historic Scotland property; site of 6th century wooden hall and Anglian chief’s hall of 7th century.

Dun Carloway Broch
Hebrides
1.5m south of Carloway; about 16m north-west of Stornoway, Isle of Lewis on the A858
Tel. 0 1851 710 395 (The Blackhouse, Arnol)
Historic Scotland property; one of best preserved broch towers in Scotland; visitor centre; parking.

Dunnet Head and Lighthouse
Highlands
Dunnet Head, on minor road off A836
Most northerly point of Britain; dramatic view from 300 ft high clifftop of Orkney Islands and Scottish coastline from Cape Wrath to Duncansby Head; white stone lighthouse built in 1831 by Robert Stevenson, grandfather of the author Robert Louis Stevenson; automated 1989; 51 steps and 9 ladder steps to top
Web: Northern Lighthouse Board

Back To Top

Finavon Doocot
Angus and Dundee
Off A90 6 miles (10km) north of Forfar, Angus
National Trust for Scotland property; largest doocot in Scotland with 2400 nesting boxes; built in the 16th century.

Fort Charlotte
Shetland Isles
In Lerwick, Mainland, Shetland
Historic Scotland property; five-sided artillery fort with high, massive walls, built in 1665; burned in 1673 and rebuilt in 1781.

Fort George
Highlands
11 miles (17.7km) northeast of Inverness, Highland, by the village of Ardersier on the B9006.
Tel. 01667 462 777.
Historic Scotland. Vast site with one of the most outstanding unaltered artillery fortifications (1769) in Europe. Reconstruction of barrack rooms in different periods and display of muskets and pikes.

Back To Top

Gates of Negapatam
Highlands
At Evanton, Highland, off the A9, on the B817.
Built in 1790. Three battlemented arches with ruined pillars. Best seen from a distance, as it is a 40-minute climb to the folly.

Georgian House
Edinburgh and the Lothians
7 Charlotte Square, Edinburgh
Tel. 0 131 226 3318 or 225 2160
National Trust for Scotland property; Robert Adam masterpiece of urban architecture in neo-classical style forms north side of Charlotte Square; house furnished as 1796 date; china, silver, pictures, furniture, gadgets, utensils; below stairs life; AV presentation on history of Edinburgh’s New Town and one on life in the Georgian house covering a day; shop.

Gilnockie Tower
Dumfries and Galloway
2.3 km north of Canonbie, on west bank of River Esk in hamlet of Hollows
Tel. 0 1387 371 876 or mobile 0 7776 256 970
Built c1520 by outlaws; 4 storey tower house (once known as Hollows Tower); burned by English in 1528, rebuilt and damaged again in 1540s; then rebuilt with parapet walk, beacon stance added; mostly intact due to restoration in 1978; vaulted cellar, spiral staircase, hall; now houses Armstrong family centre; nearby is Gilnockie Castle.

Gladstone’s Land
Edinburgh and the Lothians
477B Lawnmarket, at top end of Royal Mile, Edinburgh, near the castle
Tel. 0 131 226 5856
National Trust for Scotland property; six storey home of 17th century prosperous merchant; period decoration, paintings, and furnishings; painted ceilings; reconstructed shop booth with replicas of 17th century goods; shop.

Gunsgreen House
Borders
Gunsgreen Quay
Eyemouth
Reached by foot only
Tel. 0 1890 752 062
250 year old house now restored; home to smuggler John Nisbet; cellars where contraband was hidden; secret tea chute; parlour with blue panelling; later became a minister’s house and a Regency dining room was created; of special note are the wallpapers; special children’s activities; also has a self catering apartment on 2nd floor
Web: Gunsgreen House

Back To Top

Hackness Martello Tower and Battery
Orkney Isles
On the south-east end of island of Hoy
Tel. 0 1856 701 727
Historic Scotland property; built 1813-15 to protect British ships from French and American pirates; parking.

Hermitage Tunnel
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
Acharn on a minor road off the A827
On the shores of Loch Tay near Kenmore
Tunnel built in 1790; dark and twisting, so take a torch; at the far end is a spectacular view of the Falls of Acharn.

Back To Top

Inveraray Jail
Argyll and Bute
Church Square, Inveraray, Argyll on the A83
Tel. 01499 302 381
19th century jail. Life-like figures dressed in appropriate costumes, exhibitions.

Back To Top

Jedburgh Castle Jail and Museum
The Borders
Castle Gate, Jedburgh
Borders, on the A68.
Tel. 01835 863 254
Built as a Howard reform prison in 1823-4 on site of town gallows; only existing example of its kind in Scotland; three prison blocks show life of the period; museum has small display of items relating to 19th century prison life and collections relating to the history of the Royal Burgh of Jedburgh; audio tour and av presentation.

John Knox House
Edinburgh and the Lothians
On the Royal Mile, Edinburgh
Tel. 0131 556 9579
Town house built before 1490; exhibits about John Knox.

John Muir’s Birthplace
Edinburgh and the Lothians
126 High Street
Dunbar, East Lothian
Tel. 01368 865899
John Muir was a Scottish conservation pioneer, farmer, inventor, botanist, geologist, explorer, mountaineer, and writer. Information on his travels around the world, extracts from his journals, and some of his sketches of wildlife and plants.

Back To Top

Keathbank Mill
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
At Blairgowrie, Perth and Kinross
On A93/A926
Tel. 01250 872 025
Scotland’s largest working water wheel, a steam engine, model railway, heraldry museum and woodcarving displays.

Kenmore Follies
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
Kenmore, Perth and Kinross
On the A827
Several follies are located here: Taymouth Castle, built in 1830, the Rustic Lodges in 1840, the Hermitage in the early 19th century and the Fort in 1760 (now let as a holiday cottage). Some of the Rustic Lodges have entire trees as supports; some are fake miniature castles.

Kinnoull Hill Tower
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
Bridgend, in Perth
On the A90 by exit 11 from the M90
Dramatically sited on the extreme edge of a high hill overlooking the Tay River; round tower set between walls, battlements and arches, built in early 19th century; surrounding land is a country park with nature trails through the woods.

Back To Top

Leighton Library
Stirlingshire
The Cross, Dunblane
Tel. 0 1786 822 305 (custodian)
Two storey building 44ft x 20ft erected 1684-88 of stone from ruined bishop’s palace; barrel vaulted roof on lower storey, originally had living quarters for librarian; first floor has one room lined with presses of shelving for book storage including archbishop Robert Leighton’s own books; eventually 4500 books in 88 languages added; 1688 red leather chairs; parking in street.

Linlithgow Palace
Edinburgh and the Lothians
Linlithgow, Lothian
On the A803
Tel. 0 1506 842 896
Historic Scotland property; picnic area; shop, tea and coffee; parking
Magnificent ruin of a Royal Palace set in its own park; residence of Stewart kings and queens from James I; James V and Mary Queen of Scots were born here; great hall and chapel
For photos and more details see our article Linlithgow Palace

Lower City Mills
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
West Mill St, Perth
Tel. 01738 627 958
Restored and working Victorian oatmeal mill.

Back To Top

Maggie’s Hoosie
Grampian (Aberdeenshire and Moray)
26 Shore St, Inverallochy
Four miles (6km) from Fraserburgh, Grampian, off the B9033
Traditional fishwife’s cottage with earth floor and original furnishings.

Mary Ann’s Cottage
Highlands
Dunnet
Tel. 0 1847 892 303
150 years of croft life in red roofed barn.

Mary Queen of Scots House
Borders
Jedburgh, on the A68
Tel. 01835 863 331
16th century L-shaped tower house visited and lived in by Mary Queen of Scots in 1566; ground floor kitchen cobbled and barrel vaulted; engraved glass panels, paintings, documents and relics tell the story of life of Mary Queen of Scots.

McCaig’s Folly
Argyll and Bute
Oban, Argyll, on the A85
Built between 1897 and 1900; perched on a hill overlooking the town; a supposed copy of the Coliseum; public garden is located inside the hollow shell; steep steps climb to the top of the hill.

Moffat Woollen Mill
Dumfries and Galloway
Moffat, on the A701
Tel. 01683 220134
Working weaving exhibition.

Moirlanich Longhouse
Stirlingshire
Glen Lochay Rd., off A827, 1 mile (1.6km) northwest of Killin
National Trust for Scotland property; outstanding example of mid- 19th century cruck frame cottage and byre with many original features.

Mylne’s Mill
Edinburgh and the Lothians
At Leith, Edinburgh on the A901
Folly perched on the top of a pub; built in 1686, it started life as a windmill, then became a signal tower in the 1800s.

Back To Top

New Abbey Corn Mill
Dumfries and Galloway
At New Abbey Village, Dumfries and Galloway, on A710 across from Sweetheart Abbey.
Tel. 01387 785 260. (Phone for opening times).
Historic Scotland. Renovated water-powered oatmeal mill in working order. Demonstrations in summer months.

New Lanark Mills
Greater Glasgow and the Clyde Valley
New Lanark, South Lanarkshire
On the A73/ A743/706
Tel. 01559 665 738
18th century planned industrial village located on the floor of the River Clyde gorge by the Clyde Falls. Restored millworker houses, village store, working textile machinery, exhibition; highly commercialized site
For photos and more details see our article New Lanark

Back To Top

Palace of Holyroodhouse
Edinburgh and the Lothians
At the end of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh
Tel. 0 131 556 1096
Official residence of the crown in Scotland; historic tower apartments of Mary Queen of Scots; grand staircase and state apartments with decorative plasterwork ceilings, carved woodwork, tapestries and canvases; works of art from the royal collection; Holyrood Abbey in the grounds; no parking.

Pineapple, The
Stirlingshire
At the end of the walled garden in Dunmore Park north of Airth
7 miles east of Stirling, off A905, then off B9124
Tel. 0 1324 831 137
National Trust for Scotland/Landmark Trust property; a structure in the shape of a pineapple, 45 ft. high, built in 1761 as a garden retreat; surrounded by a walled orchard of crab apple trees; pond and woodland walks; available as a short lease holiday home—phone 0 1628 825 925 for let information; car park.

Preston Mill and Phantassie Doocot
Edinburgh and the Lothians
East Linton, Lothian
Off A1
Tel. 01620 860 426
National Trust for Scotland property; stone 18th century mill with conical roofed kiln and red pantile roofs. Exhibition on milling. The Phantassie Doocot is a short walk away. Obtain key at the mill.

Prop of Ythsie
Grampian (Aberdeenshire and Moray)
In a field at the highest point of the Haddo Estate at Tarves on the B999.
Square tower built in 1861 that has a view over the area—91 steps to the top.

Provand's Lordship
Greater Glasgow and the Clyde Valley
3 Castle St, Glasgow City
Tel. 0 141 553 2557
The oldest surviving house in Glasgow, built in 1471, now a museum with period furniture
For photos and more information see our article Provand’s Lordship

Provost Skene’s House
Grampian (Aberdeenshire and Moray)
45 Guest Row, off Broad St, Aberdeen
Tel. 0 1224 641 086
16th–17th century early Burgh architecture; period rooms depict Georgian and Edwardian times; plaster ceilings; wood panelling; costume gallery; religious paintings; outstanding 16th century painted ceiling in the chapel.

Back To Top

Repentance Tower
Dumfries and Galloway
Annan, near Hoddom Castle
Reached by hilltop climb with no path; get specific directions locally or from Visit Dumfries and Galloway Visitor Centre
Tel. NA
Watchtower on hill; built by Maxwell family for views of Solway shore; had beacon and bell; surrounding graveyard.

Ruthven Barracks
Highlands
On the B970, one mile from Kingussie; signposted from A9
Tel. 0 1667 460 232
Infantry barracks of 1719 with two ranges of quarters and stable block. Captured and burnt by Prince Charles Stuart’s army in 1746.

Back To Top

Scone Palace
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
On east bank of river Tay
Two miles (3 km) north of Perth on A93
Tel. 0 1738 552 300
Historic Houses Association property; 1580 palace remodelled in early 1800s; since 9th century a crowning place of the kings of Scotland and home of the Stone of Destiny; first recorded Scottish Parliaments took place at Scone; collection of shrubs, woodland walks
Web: Scone Palace

Scotland’s Secret Bunker
Fife
Crown Buildings
Troywood (near St Andrews)
Tel. 0 1333 310 301
Hidden beneath a Scottish farmhouse, a tunnel leads to Scotland’s Secret Bunker; 24,000 square feet of secret accommodation on two levels, 100 feet underground built for the government during the Cold War; discover how they would have survived; restaurant; shop
Web: Scotland’s Secret Bunker

Sir Walter Scott’s Courtroom
The Borders
Market Place, Selkirk, A708
Tel: 0 1750 20096
Dating from 1803, the former town house and sheriff court where Sir Walter Scott sat as Sheriff of Selkirkshire until 1832; now a museum on his life, his writings and his time as a sheriff; AV presentation; shop.

Smailholm Tower
The Borders
Minor road off the B6397 near Smailholm village or off B6404, 6 miles (10km) northwest of Kelso, Borders
Tel. 01573 460 365
Historic Scotland property; small rectangular 16th century tower house. Inside is a model of the former residence depicting tower house life, a collection of costume figures and tapestries.

Stanley Mills
Perthshire (Perth and Kinross)
Stanley, Perthshire, PH1 4QE
Seven miles north of Perth, off the A9
Tel. 01738 828 268
Historic Scotland property. Former watermill complex built in 1786 on banks of river Tay, closed in 1989; visitor and education centre in Bell Mill and Mid Mill; displays, interactives, exhibits, and video on history of the people, products, and power of the mills.

Back To Top

Tenement House
Greater Glasgow and the Clyde Valley
Greater Glasgow Museums. (M8/M77) 145 Buccleuch St., Garnethill
Tel. 0141 333 0183
National Trust for Scotland property. Example of late Victorian first floor tenement flat. Exhibition.

Back To Top

Verdant Works
Angus and Dundee
Dundee
On the A90/92 at West Henderson’s Wynd
Tel. 01382 225 282
Fully working jute mill of the last century; guided tours and computer simulations.

Go Back: [Top of Page] [Attractions Main Page]


Be a Destinations-UK-Ireland Sponsor
Destinations highly recommends
The Clachan B and B
A real Highland welcome and great rooms in Wick
Destinations highly recommends
The Rowan Tree B and B
Fantastic welcome and great rooms
on North Uist, Outer Hebrides

Take a CalMac Ferry to the Hebrides
CalMac stack logo

© Destinations-UK-Ireland. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission is prohibited.
Site maintained by andyfellwalker
England | Ireland | N. Ireland | Scotland | Wales | About Us | Contact Us
.
United Kingdom England Ireland Scotland Wales