Plas Newydd, home of the marquess of Anglesey, wasn’t the first house built on this setting by the Menai Straits. A 16th century manor house stood here. It was first altered in the middle 1700s by Sir Nicholas Bayly, with castellations added along with an octagonal tower and a central half-tower. Another tower was added in the 1780s. Architect James Wyatt remodelled the front entrance and the main rooms in 1793-99. The house is a mix of the Tudor gothic style and classically proportioned. House tour
It was between 1799 and 1804 that many of the trees were planted in the grounds. In 1901 the chapel was changed into a theatre by the 5th marquess. The 6th marquess, in the 1930s, created the dining room and added bathrooms and the north wing. Artist Rex Whistler made the panorama in the dining room.
In the 169 acres of grounds is a dairy block, built as an ornamentation. It has patterned Gothick metal-framed windows. It is currently used as a tea-room and shop. The gothic stable block dates from 1797. In the front is a Neolithic burial mound.
Gothik Hall: plasterwork fan vaulting, portraits and paintings.
Music room: largest room in the house once the 16th century great hall; carved Gothick chimneypiece; imitation rib vaulting; portraits.
Staircase hall: designed in neo-classical style; cantilevered staircase and wrought-iron balustrade, Doric columns; paintings by Laguerre; portraits; crystal chandelier of 1835; 18th century gilt-wood tables.
Middle landing: portraits and pictures
Family bedrooms: Lady Anglesey’s room has 18th century furniture with painted bed; Lord Anglesey’s has a 1720 flying-tester bed and 1790 Italian marble chimneypiece.
Ante-room: early 18th century furniture; Louis XV painted chairs; painted Regency tables.
Octagon room: 1796 chimneypiece; Regency bookcase and tables; once used as a study by Lady Angelsey; white marble chimneypiece; portraits and paintings.
Saloon: plasterwork frieze; moulded window surrounds; painting of Queen Victoria; four large Flemish pastoral scenes; family and royal photos; Regency rent table; carved and gilded 1720 French pier-glasses; Georgian tables with carved legs.
Breakfast room: marine paintings
Rex Whistler exhibition room: first a billiard room, then a kitchen and pantry; collection of Whistler’s work.
Dining room: painted by Whistler 1937-39, longest single canvas in Britain at 17.7 metres.
Cavalry museum: military mementos of the 1st marquess.
Photo PN exterior by Visit Wales From the dock below the house, boat tours take visitors up to the bridge and return. There are also motorized tours of the grounds.
Plas Newydd is located on the isle of Anglesey, Wales overlooking the Menai Strait.
Tel. 0 1248 714 795--infoline
Open: check National Trust website for full details as dates and times vary for house, garden, walks, tea-room, and shop and depending on time of year.
Parking on site; bird hide; second hand bookshop
Photos and text © by Barbara Ballard and as follows:
Garden courtesy Cheshire Cam
Staircase Hall and Gothick hall courtesy National Trust Photo library
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles