Dalmeny House, on the shores of the Firth of Forth, is part of the Rosebery Estates. It is the home of the Earls of Rosebery, the Primrose family. They have lived here for over 300 years. It was designed in the Tudor-Gothic style by William Wilkins, and the building was completed in 1817.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
Of architectural interest is the Coade stone exterior decoration, the two-storey entrance hall with its hammer-beam ceiling, and fan vaulted corridors to the classical main rooms.
In addition to the drawing room other rooms open to visitors are the dining room, library and Napoleon room. The house has many art treasures including a collection of Vincennes and Sèvres porcelain, five tapestries dating from 1800 and designed for the Spanish royal palaces, 17th century furniture, early Scottish portraits, and 18th century portraits by Reynolds, Gainsborough and others. In the grounds is a statue of King Tom, one of the estate’s famous horses.
The Napoleon room contains paintings of him, furniture used by him, and a campaign chair used by the Duke of Wellington when he defeated Napoleon. A Rothschild collection comprised of 18th century French furniture is displayed in the drawing room. A corridor leading to the hall displays 16th century German stained glass.
In the grounds are a number of walks open to the public, one of which shows off specimen trees. In the spring rhododendrons and azaleas bloom in the garden valley. There is a 4.5 mile walk along the shore.
Two miles (3km) to the east of South Queensferry, Lothian
Signposted off the A90, west of Edinburgh
Tel. 0 131 331 1888
Open: June and July, Sun, Mon, Wed, guided tours only at 2.15 and 3.30pm
Historic Houses Association property; parking; tea-room
Web: Dalmeny House
Photos courtesy Geograph Britain and Ireland as follows:
Dalmeny House exterior by Ronnie Leask; Dalmeny House chimneys by Alatair G; Dalmeny House pond by Richard Webb; Estate woodland walk by Jim Barton; Horse statue by Anthony O’Neil