The Oldest House in Glasgow
This oldest surviving house in Glasgow, built in 1471 while King James III was on the throne, is opposite the cathedral. The house was commissioned by Bishop Andrew Muirhead to serve as the Preceptor's House of the Hospital of St Nicholas. On the eastern side of the south gable of the house his coat of arms can still be found. The house had three stories when first constructed and was added on to in the 17th century by a tailor who lived there. During the ensuing years a number of different businesses and people occupied the house. These included its use as an alehouse.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
In the 19th century the house was in great need of restoration. It was refurbished and served as the manse of the Prebendary of Balernock, also known as the Lord of Provand, a district of Glasgow. This is where the current name of the house originates. Eventually it became a museum and a medieval herb garden was added at the rear of the building. In 1981 the building was further renovated. In the house is period furniture.
3 Castle St, Glasgow
Tel. 0141 276 1625
Open: Tue, Thu, and Sat, 10am-5pm; Fri and Sun, 11am-5pm
The house is a member of the Glasgow Museums
Insider Tip: This is on a Glasgow city bus line from the city centre and makes for an interesting half day visit combined with Glasgow cathedral and historic graveyard and St Mungo Museum nearby.