Hezlett House is a 1690s house owned by the National Trust. It is one of Northern Irelandís oldest buildings.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
The structure of the house was created by using naturally curved timber; the walls are earth and rubble while the exterior is covered in roughcast. The roof, a cruck-truss one, is thatched using wheat straw.
Inside the house, furnished in late Victorian style, are small rooms with the original low doors. An oak cupboard dates from 1701. The kitchen has an open hearth for turf fires, and cooking irons are found over the grate. There is a small museum of farm implements. The Downhill marbles collection is located at the house.
The house was first a rectory for the archdeacon of Derry (1693-1719) and then for the four archdeacons who succeeded him up to 1789. It then came into the ownership of the Hezlett family.
Located at 107 Sea Rd, at the turning of the main Coleraine to Downhill road, near the village of Castlerock, County Derry, Northern Ireland.
Tel. 028 7084 8728
Open: mid March-May, noon-6pm, weekends and PH; June-Aug, noon-6pm daily except Tue; Sep, noon-6pm weekends only.
Photo of Hezlett House courtesy Causeway Coast and Glens