Destinations-UK-Ireland
Destinations-UK-Ireland
HomeEnglandIrelandNorthern IrelandScotlandWales
New This Month
Home
England
Ireland
N. Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Articles
Attractions
Accommodation
Gardens
National Parks
Tourist Information
News
Books
Web Links
About Us
Contact Us

 

St Margaret of Antioch Church at Marton, Lincolnshire

Exterior of St Margarets by Barbara Ballard St Margaret of Antioch church was built between 1000-1050. It is probably the second church in the village. It is thought there was an earlier one in AD627 when St Paulinus visited. St Margaretís church incorporated a nave, chancel and tower.

Church interior by Barbara Ballard The nave and part of the chancel were destroyed at the end of the Saxon times, but were rebuilt in the 12th century. The chancel was lengthened from its original size.

Saxon carving by Richard Croft courtesy Geograph At the time of the rebuilding a north aisle of two bays with semi-circular arches was added to the church. A pillar has leaf carvings. The south aisle was added in the 13th century and a porch, battlements, and windows in the 15th. Carved stones are located on the west exterior wall of the south aisle. They are thought to be part of an original doorway. The church was restored in 1868. At this time a western gallery was taken down. New seats, a pulpit, and prayer desk were put in place.

12th century church capital by Richard Croft courtesy Geograph A 13th century lancet window is on the south wall of the church and just above it the two light window is 14th century. Other church windows date from the 14th or 15th century.

The tapered tower is the oldest part of the church. Herring-bone masonry was used. The belfry windows are Saxon and have two lights. A carved head is above a modern window. There are three bells in the tower, the oldest is from 1637.

There are many old graves in the churchyard.

Visitor Information

St Margaretís of Antioch is in the village of Marton, Lincolnshire on the A156/A1500 junction, north-west of Lincoln.

Photos: exterior and interior by Barbara Ballard; other two photos by Richard Croft courtesy Geograph Britain and Ireland

Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles Main Page]


Be a Destinations-UK-Ireland Sponsor
Some of our Lincolnshire Articles
Above the Vaults
Normanby Hall Country Park
Lost Graves of Sempringham
Historic Lincolnshire Churches
Grimsthorpe Castle
Gainsborough Old Hall
St Peterís Church
Church of St Peter and St Paul
Belton House
Heckington St Andrews Church
Croyland Abbey
Lincolnshire's Historic Churches, Part II
St Margaret of Antioch Church
St Marys Church, Stow-in-Lindsey
Other England Articles

© Destinations-UK-Ireland. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission is prohibited.
Site maintained by andyfellwalker
England | Ireland | N. Ireland | Scotland | Wales | About Us | Contact Us
.
United Kingdom England Ireland Scotland Wales