St Margaret of Antioch church was built between 1000-1050. It is probably the second church in the village. It is thought there was an earlier one in AD627 when St Paulinus visited. St Margaretís church incorporated a nave, chancel and tower.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
The nave and part of the chancel were destroyed at the end of the Saxon times, but were rebuilt in the 12th century. The chancel was lengthened from its original size.
At the time of the rebuilding a north aisle of two bays with semi-circular arches was added to the church. A pillar has leaf carvings. The south aisle was added in the 13th century and a porch, battlements, and windows in the 15th. Carved stones are located on the west exterior wall of the south aisle. They are thought to be part of an original doorway. The church was restored in 1868. At this time a western gallery was taken down. New seats, a pulpit, and prayer desk were put in place.
A 13th century lancet window is on the south wall of the church and just above it the two light window is 14th century. Other church windows date from the 14th or 15th century.
The tapered tower is the oldest part of the church. Herring-bone masonry was used. The belfry windows are Saxon and have two lights. A carved head is above a modern window. There are three bells in the tower, the oldest is from 1637.
There are many old graves in the churchyard.
St Margaretís of Antioch is in the village of Marton, Lincolnshire on the A156/A1500 junction, north-west of Lincoln.
Photos: exterior and interior by Barbara Ballard; other two photos by Richard Croft courtesy Geograph Britain and Ireland