Destinations-UK-Ireland
Destinations-UK-Ireland
HomeEnglandIrelandNorthern IrelandScotlandWales
New This Month
Home
England
Ireland
N. Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Articles
Attractions
Accommodation
Gardens
National Parks
Tourist Information
News
Books
Web Links
About Us
Contact Us

 

St Wilfrid’s Church, Ribchester, Lancashire

Photo by Barbara Ballard St Wilfrid’s Church is on the site of a Roman fort, Bremetenacum Veteranorum. The first church known to be located here was in 1193, but there was probably an earlier wooden one. The church in the early English style, was mostly built by the 13th century, and is named after the Bishop of Ripon and Archbishop of York in the 7th century. Further building took place in the 14th century to produce the church of today. The roof of the chancel and nave dates from 1527.

The church chancel is on a lower level than the rest of the church. Three lancet windows are located here. On the floor are Victorian encaustic tiles. There is a triple seated sedilia to the right of the high altar. Next to it is a double bowled piscina.

Photo by Barbara Ballard On the north wall is a small and low window thought to be a leper’s squint. On the north side of the church is a chapel for private prayer. The carved pulpit dates from 1636. The church lectern is of oak and etched glass.

The north side stained glass lancet window dates from 1996. The dormer windows above the south aisle were a 1712 addition. There is a 14th century wall cupboard (aumbry). Pillars separate the chapel from the nave and are carved with faces. The nave has oak beams and carved bosses where the beams meet.

Church font by Aexander Knapp courtesy Geograph The box pews are carved with dates and initials of former worshippers. A 14th century screen separates the Hoghton pew from the aisle. The stained glass windows are Victorian. The gallery is oak fronted and was constructed in 1736 for the choir. Below the gallery is an old font.

The church tower, built in the 15th and 16th centuries, has a peal of six bells. The church porch was at one time two storeys high and incorporated a library on the upper floor.

Photo by Barbara Ballard The church is an active one serving the community in many ways. There is a bell ringer group as well as a singing group, both open to all. There is an age appropriate junior church held during church service time. For time of services and other details visit the website.

Visitor Information

Ribchester is located on the B6245 north of the A59 and Blackburn, Lancashire.
The church has Sunday services and weekday morning prayers.
Tel. 0 1254 878 352; email on their website
Web: St Wilfrid’s Church

Photos © by Barbara Ballard except church font by Alexander Knapp courtesy Geograph Britain and Ireland

Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles Main Page]


Be a Destinations-UK-Ireland Sponsor
Our Lancashire Articles
St Peter and St Paul Church, Bolton by Bowland
Gawthorpe Hall
Ribble Valley Villages
Leighton Hall
St Wilfrid Church
Other England Articles

© Destinations-UK-Ireland. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission is prohibited.
Site maintained by andyfellwalker
England | Ireland | N. Ireland | Scotland | Wales | About Us | Contact Us
.
United Kingdom England Ireland Scotland Wales