Set in 1550 acres of grounds, Leighton Hall is a white limestone 18th century home. Its primary function today is still that of a lived in family home. In the early 19th century it was changed externally to a castellated look when pinnacles and turrets were added. In 1870 architects Paley and Austin added a projecting wing with a high tower.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
In 1822 the house was purchased by Richard Gillow of the Gillow furniture making family. Inside the house is a large collection of their furniture dating from as early as 1730. In the drawing room are a late 18th century games table and a lady’s work-box. The house has a small private chapel with a 1750 altarpiece. There is a curved, cantilevered stone staircase, a panelled dining room with skylight (once a billiard room), a music room, and drawing room. A collection of silver and one of clocks is on show.
The gardens include a 19th century walled garden, roses, an herb garden, ornamental vegetable garden, and shrubs. In the grounds is a maze and Victorian conservatory. There are woodland walks.
Three miles north of Carnforth, Lancashire
Tel. 01524 734 474
Open: May-Sep, Tue-Fri, and BH Sun and Mon, 2-5pm; in Aug also on Sun
Historic Houses Association member; plant sales; parking; special events; plant sales
Web: Leighton Hall
Photos courtesy Geograph Britain and Ireland as follows:
Leighton Hall by John Darch; Leighton Hall and grounds by Bryan Pready