Destinations-UK-Ireland
Destinations-UK-Ireland
HomeEnglandIrelandNorthern IrelandScotlandWales
New This Month
Home
England
Ireland
N. Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Articles
Attractions
Accommodation
Gardens
National Parks
Tourist Information
News
Books
Web Links
About Us
Contact Us

 

Ashford in the Water, Derbyshire

Ashford by Barbara Ballard Ashford Peak by Barbara Ballard Ashford has been around for certain since 1066 when it was called Aisseford in the Domesday Book. The name means “the ford of the ash”. The manor, including surrounding areas, was given to a Welsh prince by King John as a bribe for getting his support. By 1408 it was back in the hands of royalty and then became the property of the Neville family.

Sheepwash Bridge by David Goodwin courtesy Geograph North of the church the family built a hunting lodge called Hall Orchard. It has long since disappeared. In 1550 the Neville family sold out to Sir William Cavendish who, along with his successors (earls and dukes of Devonshire), held on to the land for 300 years. Most of the Cavendish family lived at Churchdale Hall, established in 1336. Ashford has two medieval bridges over the River Wye.

Ashford stone house by Barbara Ballard In 1631 children were able to attend a free grammar school. In 1880 a Church of England school took its place. In 1748 marble works were established in the village and continued in operation until the end of the 19th century. Ashford Hall dates from 1772, and Thornbridge Hall is Victorian.

Well dressing by George Mahoney courtesy Geograph There were three chapels—Baptist, Unitarian, and Wesleyan—in the village in the 1800s but today only Holy Trinity Church remains. Holy Trinity Church probably sits on the same site as a Saxon church. A Norman building of worship was erected in the late 1100s and encompassed a nave, short chancel, and tower. The tower is little changed today. The north aisle was a 14th century addition. The original north wall of the church was replaced with the arches and pillars still existing.

Ashford church by Barbara Ballard In 1869 restoration took place due to foundation problems. Walls needed rebuilding. There was a gallery at the back of the church dating from 1755. In 1894 further repair and restoration took place. Ashford observes the Derbyshire Peak District custom of well dressing. This occurs on Trinity Sunday. It used to include a fair and other celebrations.

Visitor Information

Ashford in the Water, Derbyshire, is located at the junctions of the A6/A6020/B6465

Photos © by Barbara Ballard and courtesy Geograph Britain and Ireland as follows: sheepwash bridge by David Goodwin; well dressing by George Mahoney

Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles Main Page]


Be a Destinations-UK-Ireland Sponsor
Some of our East Midlands Articles
Belvoir Castle
Castleton
Eyam, the Plague Village
Manor House Mayhem
Above the Vaults
Lost Graves of Sempringham
Flag Fen
Historic Lincolnshire Churches
Newstead Abbey
Haddon Hall
For more on this region check out our Articles page and each East Midlands county page.
Some of our Derbyshire Articles
Chatsworth
Castleton
Eyam, the Plague Village
Manor House Mayhem
Charnwood, a National Forest
Bolsover Castle
Haddon Hall
Peak District National Park
Kedleston Hall
Hardwick Old Hall
Ashford in the Water
Other England Articles

© Destinations-UK-Ireland. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission is prohibited.
Site maintained by andyfellwalker
England | Ireland | N. Ireland | Scotland | Wales | About Us | Contact Us
.
United Kingdom England Ireland Scotland Wales