Lyveden was created by Sir Thomas Tresham between 1595-1605. He died in 1605 and the gardens were abandoned. Only the shell of the building remains. Tresham was a Catholic and his son was part of the Gunpowder Plot.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
Tresham planned the place as a pleasure garden in the Elizabethan style. The plan was to have a route from the manor house through orchards, terraces, moats and viewing mounts ending in the garden lodge. In the grounds today are the original moats, mounts and terracing. There are period fruit trees and a circular labyrinth.
A frieze on the building is full of religious symbolism telling the story of the crucifixion of Christ and the scriptures. The interior shows the original planned layout of the kitchens, bake house, parlour and entertainment areas.
Lyveden New Bield
Four miles south-west of Oundle via A427
Tel. 0 1832 205 358
Open: Nov-Feb, weekends, 11am-4pm; March-end Oct, daily, 10.30am-5pm
National Trust property; parking; small selection of snacks; picnic areas; audio guide
Photos © by Barbara Ballard