St Thomas sits on a place of ancient worship. A chapel was founded here in 1190. In 1275 its care was passed to Cartmel priory. Cartmel Priory’s life ended when Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries in 1534.
Go Back:[Top of Page] [Articles Main Page] [Cumbria Abbeys, Churches, and Cathedrals]
Crosscrake chapel was stripped of its contents and began its decline. Of this original chapel all is gone except for a stone, part of the original font, now in the north sanctuary window of the present church.
In 1757 the building’s designation was changed from a chapel to a church, with a living attached. By 1773 rebuilding started in the gothic style of the time. This meant whitewashed walls and squared doors. A gothic style west tower was added. In 1842 the church was enlarged.
In 1874, the church was rebuilt in slate by Paley and Austin, a short distance from the old one and was named St Thomas. This new church has a nave, chancel, transepts, bell tower, and two stained glass windows. It was restored in 1897, but due to being unsound had to be restored again in 1962. Services are held on a regular basis.
St Thomas Church
Crosscrake, near Sedgwick, LA8 0AB
Visitor parking; church open daily; services held
Photos by Alexander Kapp courtesy Geograph UK