Visitors to the State Apartments at Kensington Palace can see the only collection of dresses worn by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on public display in the UK. The dresses, lent to the palace by HM The Queen, were designed by Norman Hartnell, Hardy Amies and lan Thomas and date from the 1950s to the 1980s.
Go Back:[Top of Page] [Articles Main Page] [Kensington Palace, London]
The dresses are as follows:
• Evening dress and train, gold lame, beaded net Norman Hartnell 1961 Worn on a State visit to Italy (1961)
• Day dress and coat, primrose silk Norman Hartnell 1969. Worn for the Investiture of the Prince of Wales (1969).
• Evening dress and bolero, ivory lace, embroidered with beads, lotus motif Norman Hartnell 1961. Worn New Delhi (1961), Australia (1963), Garter Service (1965) and other occasions.
• Evening dress, beige silk crepe, embroidered all over with spangles Norman Hartnell 1977. Worn for a dinner at Buckingham Palace (1977) and other social events.
• Evening dress, peach chiffon embroidered with beads, with floaty chiffon sleeves lan Thomas 1976. Worn in the USA (1976).
• Evening dress, white chiffon with beaded Californian Poppy motif Hardy Amies 1983. Worn in Hollywood at a dinner with American president Ronald Reagan, and for 200 Years of Downing Street Commemoration.
• Evening dress, lime green silk crepe with pleated streamers at back Norman Hartnell 1975. Worn in Mexico City (1975).
• Day dress and coat ensemble, bright pink silk with pleated stole Hardy Amies 1976, with matching hat by Frederick Fox. Worn to the opening of the Montreal Olympics (1976) and for the Silver Jubilee (1977).
• Evening dress, pale green organza, heavily embroidered Norman Hartnell 1974. Worn in New Zealand (1974) and Hong Kong (1975).
• Day dress and coat ensemble, apple green organza Norman Hartnell 1963. Worn to Princess Alexandra's wedding (1963).
• Evening dress, grey satin embroidered with gold, silver and crystal bugle beads with fern motif and matching stole Hardy Amies 1957.
Worn to a White House State dinner, German Embassy and Royal Ballet Gala performance (1957-9).
• Evening dress, yellow satin with beaded embroidery Norman Hartnell 1961. Worn in Pakistan and various social events.
• Evening dress, beige satin with beaded and embroidered panels Norman Hartnell 1963. Worn to the opening of the New Zealand parliament (1963) and dinner at Buckingham Palace (1965).
• Evening dress, beaded peach silk crepe with pleated sleeves and waist lan Thomas 1974. Worn to the Royal Opera House (1974).
• Evening dress, printed floral chiffon, embroidered with sequins with large bow at side Norman Hartnell 1970s.
• Evening dress, dark green apricot silk, sequined and beaded bodice Norman Hartnell 1970. Worn to dinner at Marlborough House and to the social event 'Talk of the Town'.