Adlington Hall has been the home of the Leghs of Adlington since 1315 and sits in 2000 acres of an historic estate. The site chosen for the hall was that of a 1040 hunting lodge, where the forest of Macclesfield once existed.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
Nothing remains of the original lodge, but there are two oaks trees still alive that support the east end of the black and white great hall constructed 1480-1505. Two sides of the courtyard and the east wing were built in 1581. Red brick wings were added between 1749-57, making the manor house quadrangular in shape. The east and west wings were torn down in 1928. There was once a moat around the house. A stone portico is supported by four Ionic columns on octagonal pedestals.
In the great hall (1480-1505) with its hammerbeam roof is a 17th century organ, once played by Handel. It is the largest of its kind in England. Also in the great hall is a coved canopy with 60 panels containing armorial shields. In the drawing room is an overmantel of carved fruit and foliage.
In the parkland, landscaped in the ‘Capability’ Brown style in the middle of the 18th century are woodland paths, a rose garden, rhododendrons and azaleas, a maze, a water garden with ponds, fountains and a cascade, and herbaceous borders. Follies are an added attraction and include a temple to Diana with a painted ceiling. A lime avenue was planted in 1688, and there is a yew walk.
Mill Lane, 5.75 miles north of Macclesfield, Cheshire; off the A523
Tel. 01625 829 206
Open: Easter-end June, Sun, 2-5pm, check website for specific dates; also open some BH—check website; also for groups only other times of year
Historic Houses Association member; tea-room; parking; weddings
Web: Adlington Hall
Photos courtesy Geograph Britain and Ireland as follows:
Adlington Hall grounds by Geoff Royle; Adlington Hall exterior by Ken Crosby