St Andrews church exterior is an eye candy feast with gargoyles, carved corbels, crocketed pinnacles, decorative work, and window tracery. The south side was constructed after the north side. The stonework is of Ancaster stone. The tower, 185 feet 10 inches high, has flying buttresses supporting the spire. 38 statues decorate it. The tower has a ring of eight bells.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
The south porch, with its original roof rafters is in the Decorated style and over the entrance is a statue of Christ. The nave and chancel show great height and length in the arcading resembling a cathedral in looks. The roof is wooden. At the base of the arches are carved figures. There are clerestory windows. The east window has seven lights while the west window has carved glass in strong colours. There is a Victorian stained glass window in the nave. In the sanctuary is a sedilia. Nearby is a priestís door.
The north aisle is the oldest part of the church, and its window tracery is of the Geometric Design. The large window in the north transept is also of the same design. In the ante chancel are choir stalls. The south transept is home to the Lady Chapel as well as a second sedilia. A piscina is located in the wall by the vestry. Stairs from the vestry lead to an undercroft with a vaulted roof. A double piscina is on the south wall.
The font is six sided and lead lined with six statues that the Puritans vandalised. The organ dates from 1869 but was rebuilt in the 20th century. There are tombs in the church. In the churchyard are the remains of an old stone cross.
Heckington is located on the B1394 and just off the A17 east of Sleaford.
Photos © by Barbara Ballard