See also Castle Rising Castle
The stone used in Castle Rising church, dedicated to St Lawrence, is of three types, two of which are local to the county of Norfolk. One is Sandringham sandstone and the other is dark Carrstone. The third type, used for the west front, is imported stone from a Northamptonshire quarry. It was transported on the river Nene and across the Wash to the harbour at Rising. In the graveyard the tombstones are mostly of imported stone.
The west front is part of the original Norman church but has two windows blocked up. Early English windows were set within the Norman frame. The church tower has a saddle roof built 1880 along with a new porch and transept. It replaced an 1811 tower roof that had battlements. The exterior has an early English porch. A railing was placed across the porch to keep out animals. The lych gate in the grounds was built as a memorial to Lady Mary Howard.
On a tour of the church interior there are a number of things to note:
1. Font: the oldest decorative stonework (early Norman) in the village, originally from the former parish church; note the three cat faces on the west side.
2. West end of the nave: two Norman windows.
3. East end of the nave: original Norman arch; three triforium arches; staircase to belfry; two stone bosses on north and south walls; modern reproduction of fresco painting on north wall; altar on south side of chancel arch with medieval carving; two squints; monuments connected with the Howard family, owners of the Castle Rising estate.
4. The tower crossing: decorated roof; ceiling opening might have been for bells; originally had two Norman windows.
5. Transept: dates from 1889; contains tomb of black Belgian marble of rector who died 1751.
6. Chancel: Norman in origin but in ruins in 1800 and rebuilt; remains of Norman arches seen on exterior of church; lancet windows date from Henry III time; Victorian timber altar.
7. On south wall is the sedilia and piscina.
Castle Rising Church
Castle Rising village, Norfolk, just off the A149, north of A148
Photo of church interior © by Barbara Ballard. Other photos courtesy Geograph Britain and Ireland as follows:
Church exterior by Bob Jones; lych gate by Richard Croft; church porch, transept, chancel, sedilia and piscina by John Salmon
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
Be a Destinations-UK-Ireland Sponsor
Some of our Norfolk Articles
Norfolk Windmills Trust
Walsingham Village and Pilgrimage
The Beach at Holkam Hall
Holkham Hall, Norfolk
The Broads National Park Time and Tide Museum
Castle Acre Priory
St Margaretís Church, Hales
Castle Rising Castle
Castle Rising Church
Gressenhall Farm and Workhouse Museum
Other England Articles