The present church, dating from the 13th century, sits on the site of an original one of AD 826. A window in the west wall is from an earlier building.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
In the 15th century the south transept was made larger. In 1683 fire caused the upper parts of the tower to fall. It was rebuilt in 1752. It has one bell and, on the top, a brass cock weather vane. In the 19th century the north transept was rebuilt as well as the north porch and burial vault under the transept.
In the church look for an early 19th century carved reredos of the Last Supper, several 17th century brasses and sculptures on the north and south chancel walls. A notable one is that of William Montacute near the east wall of the south aisle. The chancel and south transept windows are 13th century.
The pulpit was restored in the 19th century. The date of the font is purported to be either early English or late transitional Norman. Early remains can be seen in the round stone at the end of the pews near the west door. There was once a gallery but it was taken down in the late 1800s.
Of particular interest are two ‘scratch’ dials, used to time church services in past centuries. They are on the priests’ doorway in the chancel’s south side. The right hand one had the correct time and the left hand one was incorrect, supposedly to fool the devil.
All Saints Church
Calbourne, Isle of Wight
Tel. not given
Open: check at the door
Memorial brass and village photos © by Barbara Ballard
Exterior and interior church photo by Peter Facey courtesy Geograph Britain and Ireland