Chysauster Ancient Village dates from the iron age, 2000 years ago. Its name, means ‘Sylvester’s farm’—probably the name of the farm that existed here by 1314—and comes from the middle Cornish language. The area, at the time, was busy with tin mining but is now quiet countryside.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
There are signs that before Chysauster village existed a settlement dating back a further 2000 years was located here. The many rocks in the fields were a ready supply of building material for walls and shelter and needed clearing before farming could take place. Families lived in the huts and shelters built from the rocks and cultivated the surrounding land.
Uncovered at the site are stone walls, burial cairns, approximately nine courtyard houses (a series of rooms around a courtyard that protected animals), and hut circles. Many of these are today turf covered. Stone cellars stored produce. From the hillside there are views over the surrounding land.
Chysauster Ancient Village
Signed off B 3311 between St Ives and Penzance; 2.5 miles north-west of Gulval
Tel. 0 7831 757 934
Open: April-end June and Sep, daily, 10am-5pm; July-end Aug, daily, 10am-6pm; Oct, daily, 10am-4pm; closed rest of year
English Heritage property; parking across the road; walk up the hill
Photos © by Barbara Ballard