Destinations-UK-Ireland
Destinations-UK-Ireland
HomeEnglandIrelandNorthern IrelandScotlandWales
New This Month
Home
Photo of the Week
England
Ireland
N. Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Articles
Attractions
Accommodation
Gardens
National Parks
Tourist Information
News
Books
Web Links
About Us
Contact Us

 

St Peterís Church at Barton-upon-Humber

Barton-upon-Humber, North Lincolnshire

St Peter's church exterior by Barbara Ballard St Peterís history spans over 1000 years. The church site was used as far back as prehistoric times. An oval enclosed settlement was found alongside, and next to the site is Tyrwhitt Hall, a medieval manor house.

St Peter's church choir area by Barbara Ballard St Peter's church view of tower from nave by Barbara Ballard The area was invaded by Vikings resulting in a boom in church building, hence St Peterís. The site was Christian from the early 10th century when a wooden church was in use. A stone church was erected around 970, and part of this church still survives. In the Middle Ages the church had richly furnished altars, painted sculptures, and decorated walls. St Peterís was extended and a chapel built beside the market place (now St Maryís church).

St Peter's church inside the tower by Barbara Ballard By 1291 the church was one of the wealthiest in the area. Henry VIIIís reformation destroyed much of the church interior. Surviving are some carved heads, two large Saxon stones that were used for doorways, windows, and corners, and a 10th century carved face of Christ above the eastern arch. The Anglo-Saxon tower and baptistry are of special significance.

St Peter's church graveyard by Barbara Ballard The church was restored in Victorian times with a Gothic Revival style font, pews, and pulpit. At the same time the chancel was refurbished and given a new organ chamber and vestry. In 2000 the eight bells in the tower (dating from 1598 onwards) were brought back to use.

St Peter's church old coffin by Barbara Ballard The church was declared redundant in 1972 and is in the care of English Heritage. It is one of Englandís most studied churches due to the excavations that have taken place. These and the history of the church are detailed in an exhibition in the church. The exhibition also highlights the changes in the church over the years.

St Peter's church skeleton by Barbara Ballard In 1980 the extensive excavations of the nave revealed the Anglo-Saxon and early Norman foundations and a series of post-medieval brick-built family burial vaults. There are estimated to be 14,000 burials at the site, ranging from Anglo-Saxon to Victorian times. The archaeologists have studied skeletal remains of 2800 of the burials, weighing two tons.

Visitor Information

St Peterís Church
Barton-upon-Humber
North Lincolnshire
Tel. 0 1652 632516
Open: April-end Sep, Sat, Sun, and BH, 11am-3pm
English Heritage property

Photos and text © by Barbara Ballard

Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles Main Page]


Be a
Destinations-UK-Ireland Sponsor

Some of our Lincolnshire Articles
Above the Vaults
Normanby Hall Country Park
Lost Graves of Sempringham
Historic Lincolnshire Churches
Grimsthorpe Castle
Gainsborough Old Hall
St Peterís Church
Church of St Peter and St Paul
Belton House
Heckington St Andrews Church
Croyland Abbey
Lincolnshire's Historic Churches, Part II
Other England Articles

© Destinations-UK-Ireland. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission is prohibited.
Site maintained by andyfellwalker
England | Ireland | N. Ireland | Scotland | Wales | About Us | Contact Us
.
United Kingdom England Ireland Scotland Wales