The village of Dulverton belonged to King Harold (defeated at the Battle of Hastings) and continued being owned by the king during the 1086 Domesday survey. At that time there was no church. A priest is mentioned in 1332 but no mention of a church is made for this later date.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
It is thought that the church originated c1500 with a later tower. It was in a bad state when rebuilt in the mid 1800s. At that time the gallery, entered from the outside, was removed along with a screen that was over it. The pews were also removed. The tower is the oldest part of the church and has a ring of eight bells, the oldest dating from 1536. Others date from 1619, 1640, and 1884.
Windows in the north and south aisle were given by the founder of the YMCA, George Williams. The original window glass and iron were disposed of in the rebuilding. On the wall is a painting of the Royal coat of arms dated 1774 and one of the Last Supper.
In the memorial chapel are memorials to the Collyns family who supported the church and town for 100 years. There are windows of St James, St Peter, and St John. Another window is in memory of the 3rd earl of Caernarvon while another one represents the entry of Jesus into Jerusalem. The memorial chapel screen and rood figures on the chancel screen date from 1939.
In 1873-74 an organ and a reredos of Bath stone were erected in the sanctuary. An east window shows the crucifixion and resurrection. A 1902 screen divides the chancel from the main part of the church. A window showing the Good Samaritan is in memory of the 1876 dowager countess of Caernarvon. In the north aisle are further memorials and the Sydenham family vault. They were large property owners in the area. One of them was married to Sir Francis Drake.
The church font dates from the rebuilding. The clock is 300 years old and dates from 1708 according to its frame. It is a birdcage clock with wrought iron frames and finials on the corner posts. It has to be wound daily and is reached by a flight of 34 steps.
All Saints Church
The church is at the top of the village on the B3222, just off the A396.
Photos © by Barbara Ballard