The Haworth parsonage was the home of the Bronte family which included the three sisters Charlotte, Emily, and Anne. Charlotte wrote Jane Eyre (1847). Emily Bronte wrote Wuthering Heights (1847). Anne wrote Agnes Grey (1847) and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (1848). Their writing was influenced by the Yorkshire moorland setting of their home. House Tour
Their father, Reverend Patrick Bronte, and mother Maria came to live here in 1820 along with the six children, Maria, Elizabeth, Charlotte, Branwell, Emily and Anne. He died in 1861, having outlived his wife and children. The family vault is in the Haworth church.
The Bronte parsonage is a Georgian house, built 1778, using local stone. It has been restored, as much as possible, to its 1850 appearance. The dining room and the bedroom above it were enlarged by Charlotte Bronte. She used part of the hall and nursery for the space. The gable wing was added 100 years later by the Rev. John Wade. The original house holds the Bronte family’s furniture and belongings while the library and exhibition room are located in the gable wing.
Bronte study: Location of the parish work done by Bronte and contains his book of Psalms, gloves, walking sticks, and magnifying glass. The piano was played by Emily Bronte.
Dining Room: Location of much of the work of the Bronte sisters. It was enlarged by Charlotte. Furniture includes Anne’s rocking chair and sofa where Emily died. A square table is in the center of the room, around which the three authors would walk and read their work. A copy of the portrait of Charlotte by Richmond is above the mantel. The plaster medallion is a portrait of Patrick done by Leyland. Two engravings are of the Duke of Wellington and William M. Thackeray. The main colour of the room was crimson.
The Kitchen: Changed from the passageway of 1878 back to the kitchen as it was during the Bronte residency. Contains original furniture including the table where Emily made bread. Utensils and china belonged to the Bronte family.
Mr. Nicholls' Study: Charlotte changed this room from a store room in 1854 so her husband to be could have a study. She changed the floor levels and added a window and fireplace. Note the pew doors from Haworth Old Church (demolished 1879) on the walls.
Staircase: Location of Branwell’s portrait of Bronte sisters and Bronte grandfather clock.
Servant's Room: Originally accessed only from outside stone staircase. Bronte family closed the stone mullioned window off and put in a south one. The servant who lived here from 1825 until 1855 and served the Bronte family was Tabitha Aykroyd. Her grave is in front of the parsonage on the other side of the wall.
Charlotte's Room: Many of the sisters’ belongings are in this room and include Charlotte’s shoes and a dress and family china. Mrs. Bronte died in 1821 in the bedroom.
Nursery, later Emily's Room: In 1850 this room was down-sized. Used by the sisters as a nursery to play, read, and write.
Mr. Bronte's Bedroom: Used by Mr. Bronte after his wife died, then shared with Branwell; half tester bed is reproduction but other furniture and clothing belonged to the family.
Branwell's Studio: Branwell’s work is on display here.
Exhibition Room: contains exhibition of the family history and their lives and work and information on other residents.
The Bonnell Room: Annual exhibition or archive items that includes samples of writings, drawings, and books. It is named after Henry Houston Bonnell, who collected Bronte belongings and papers and donated them. Just outside the room is an exhibition on the Bronte novels.
Garden: Planted with shrubs and flowers of the time; in the garden is a bronze sculpture of the sisters.
Bronte Parsonage Museum
West Yorkshire BD22 8DR
Tel: 0 1535 642 323
Open: daily, April-Sep, 10am-5.30pm; Oct-March, 11am-5pm; closed 24-27 Dec and 2-31 Jan
Parking in the town pay and display, one located next to the parsonage; shop; library by appointment only
Web: Bronte Parsonage Museum
Photos by Barbara Ballard except courtesy of of Geograph British Isles as follows: Haworth bronze statue courtesy Rich Tea; Haworth parsonage courtesy Carol Walker
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles