Also see Swiss Garden
The Shuttleworth Collection is a must visit for all early aeroplane aficionados. It reflects the interest of Richard Shuttleworth, born in 1909 to Colonel Frank Shuttleworth and Dorothy Lang, daughter of the vicar of Old Warden. Colonel Shuttleworth was a justice of the peace and High Sheriff of Bedfordshire.
Richard Shuttleworth began the car collection in 1928 when he acquired an 1898 Panhard Levassor. He then added a 1902 Peugeot and a 1903 de Dietrich racer. Soon he added a number of cycles. In 1935 he won the first British Grand Prix at Donnington. His last race was the South African Grand Prix, during which he crashed at 140mph but survived.
He inherited the Shuttleworth estate and fortune at the age of 23 when his father died. In 1933, at the age of 24, he flew a Comper Swift single seater 6000 miles around India while competing in a race for the “Viceroy of India Trophy”. Other races followed including the “Kings Cup” in 1935. He also organized a charter air company of eight aircraft. This interest in aeroplanes led him to add them to his car collection. Among the first planes added in the 30s were a 1909 Bleriot XI, a 1910 Deperdussin, a Sopwith Dove, and a 1912 Blackburn monoplane.
He was killed in 1940 in a flying accident while on a RAF training exercise. Four years later his mother, Dorothy Shuttleworth, founded the Shuttleworth Trust as a permanent memorial to him. Shuttleworth House on the estate is a private conference/restaurant/wedding venue.
At Shuttleworth, on Biggleswade Road, Old Warden Park, Bedfordshire
Signposted from A1 Biggleswade roundabout, southeast of Bedford
Tel. 01767 627927
Open: April-end Oct, 10am-5pm; Nov-end March, 10am-4pm
Shop, café, children’s outdoor play area and the Swiss Garden.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
Be a Destinations-UK-Ireland Sponsor
Some of our Bedfordshire Articles
Shuttleworth Collection Birds of Prey Centre
Elstow Village and Moot Hall
Other England Articles