Sir John Soane (1753-1837) was a well-known architect and a professor of architecture at the Royal academy in 1806. He rebuilt three town houses on this site between 1792 and 1824 to house his collections of books and art objects and make them accessible for educational purposes.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
In the house are 38 Egyptian and Graeco-Egyptian antiquities, Greek and Roman marbles, bronzes, terracottas, vases, and scarabs. The medieval objects include architectural fragments. There is a collection of Italian and northern Renaissance bronzes. A large number of sculptures are included in the collection.
Architectural drawings and prints include more than 1400 Italian drawings and 800 English drawings. In the collection are three paintings by Canaletto, one by Hogarth, two by Turner, and one by Reynolds. The house holds 325 items of furniture.
There are changing exhibitions, lectures, and educational activities.
Location: 13 Lincolnís Inn Fields, nearest underground station is Holborn
Open Tue-Sat, 10am-5pm.
Tel. 020 7405 2107
Website: Soane Museum
Appointment needed for access to research library.