The house is the former studio-house of Victorian artist Frederic, Lord Leighton (1830-1896). The house holds more than 700 paintings by him and others by Millais, Edward Burne-Jones, and various Victorian artists. Exhibitions are held throughout the year.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
The house, designed by architect George Aitchison, was completed enough for him to move into in 1866. Further additions were made during Leighton’s lifetime.
On show are the library, Arab hall, dining room, silk room, studio, staircase hall, and drawing room. The Arab hall is particularly resplendent with tiled walls. The Prince of Wales was entertained in the dining room.
The silk room was designed to display Leighton’s collection of contemporary paintings. The studio room was a musical concert venue during his lifetime and still retains that function today.
Location: 12 Holland Park Road
Tel. 020 7602 3316
North of Kensington High St, turn on to Melbury road to reach Holland Park road.
Open: daily, except Tue and 25-26 Dec, 10am-5.30pm