Mompesson House, located in Salisbury cathedral close, dates from the 18th century. It is classified as a Queen Anne townhouse. The exterior is of limestone. The 18th century interior plasterwork is of particular note. Inside is an oak staircase, marble chimneypieces and period furniture. In the house is the Turnbull collection of 18th century drinking glasses.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
Mompesson House is named after the Mompesson family. Thomas Mompesson leased a building on this site from the dean and chapter of Salisbury cathedral in 1635. In 1701 Charles Mompesson built the present house. His brother-in-law added, after Charles’s death, the plasterwork, staircase, and a brick wing to the house. From 1753 two generations of the Hayter family lived in the house. Following other leases from the early 1800s, the house became the residence of the bishop of Salisbury until 1951. Denis Martineau bought the house at this time, bequeathing it to the National Trust when he died in 1975.
The small walled garden has a honeysuckle covered pergola and herbaceous borders. In the spring there is a flowering magnolia and wisteria.
Tour of House:
Dining room: ceiling with scrolls and garlands from the 1740s; mahogany furniture dated 1770-1810; Derby and Bow figures in a gothic display cabinet; silver soup tureen dated c1800; 1780 clock by James Smith; Sevres plates; Hepplewhite dining table and chairs; Turnbull collection of glasses.
Large drawing room: used for formal entertaining; plasterwork, chimneypiece; mid 18th century mahogany cabinet; collection of English porcelain; 18th century looking glass; 1850s cut glass chandelier; Victorian silver tea service.
Small drawing room: blue and white Chinese and Delft dishes; English mahogany commodes of late 1770s; rent table from 1790-1800.
Entrance hall: 1740s architectural features; 18th century gilt table with marble top; mahogany George II armchairs from c1750.
Staircase hall and staircase: outstanding plasterwork with flowers and fruits; 1740s oak staircase.
Green room: receiving room on the first floor; carved doorway and pediment; eagle on the ceiling; green panelled walls with mezzotints by Thomas Frye c1760; 17th century embroidery collection; walnut furniture of early 1700s.
East bedroom: one of four on the first floor; four poster mahogany bed from early 19th century; c1750 walnut chest of drawers; Hepplewhite Rudd table of 1787.
Library: created in the 1950s.
Mompesson House starred in the movie Sense and Sensibility.
Tel. 01722 335659
Open: House from end March-end Oct, 11am-5pm, Mon, Tue, Wed, Sat, Sun; Garden and tea-room same as house.
National Trust property
Note: We regret the National Trust does not allow interior photography.