The museum is dedicated to the life and work of Charles Dickens. Dickens and his family lived in the house between April 1837 and December 1839. While living here he published ĎThe Pickwick Papersí, ĎOliver Twistí, and ĎNicholas Nicklebyí. He moved from the house to 1 Devonshire Terrace (no longer in existence) because he needed more space after the birth of his third child and was able to afford it.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
In the front hall are illustrations by one of Dickensís illustrators. Also on view is a clock that belonged to Dickens when he lived at Gadís Hill Place. In the morning room (which served as a back parlour) are displays on the family and Dickensís younger life. The displays include family portraits and a family tree, a family bible, engagement ring, and other items.
The dining room is set up as it was when Dickens held dinner parties there. A Spanish mahogany sideboard, which was also in Gadís Hill Place, is here along with a well-known portrait of Dickens. Upstairs the drawing room is reconstructed to resemble its 1839 state. Here is Dickensís armchair and table. On this floor is a small study where he worked.
In the basement is the former kitchen, now set up to house the museumís library. The former still room is a video viewing area where a half-hour film about Dickensís life and times runs. A wine cellar and wash house have been reconstructed. A small shop sells Dickens related publications.
Location: 48 Doughty street; nearest underground is Russell Square station, but it is still a walk from there. You can also use Chancery Lane or Holborn stations.
Open: daily, 10am-5pm, last entry 4pm; Dec 24, 25, 26, 11am-6pm
Tel. 020 7405 2127
Web: Dickens Museum
Other photos © courtesy the museum by Siobhan Doran photography