Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
The village of Waddington dates from Anglo-Saxon times when its name derived from the chieftain Wadda. The attractive village is set off by its green (a park) and its church in the park.
Waddington Old Hall is a historic medieval house in the middle of the village. Henry VI hid in the hall during the War of the Roses in 1464. Still existing are the original walls and windows in the great hall and other rooms. The hall has oak panelling. A secret staircase, with a door behind the panelling, leads upward to a room above the hall. The oldest part of the hall is the Monkís room which dates from the 11th century.
Another old building that has undergone many changes is the former Waddington hospital. Built in the 17th century, it was made into cottages in the 1800s. Nearby Waddow Hall, on the way to Clitheroe, is a Tudor building with the addition of a Jacobean hall.
The original St Helen Church was constructed in the 14th century and a tower was added in 1501. In 1824 the entire church except for the tower and chancel was demolished and rebuilt. The buttressed tower has the Tempest coat of arms on it. Inside the tower a spiral staircase leads to the chamber where the clock mechanism is stored. Another chamber houses the six bells which were recast and rehung in 1972.
Unfortunately by 1898 the church needed extensive repairs due to poor building. It was again mostly demolished, then restored in 1899-1901 by Paley. Remaining from the 15th century is the bowl of the octagonal decorated font. A stained glass window, thought to be of Sir Richard Tempest, is of medieval glass. The west window was a gift from one of the Waddington family members. It depicts St Helen, the Saxon chief Wadda, and Henry VI.
The present nave has four clerestory windows on each side. Stained glass windows are mostly modern. The roof is of oak. Pews date from as early as the late 1600s. In the chancel are carvings of note on the rood. There is a screen in the chancel as well as stalls with tracery, and reredos. A memorial dates from 1693 while a brass dates from approximately the same time.
On the north side of the chancel is the Browsholme (Parker) chapel, a long established family in the area. The north aisle of the church has a number of brasses and monuments of the Parker family. The south aisle windows are of women saints. The Waddow chapelís north wall has part of the churchís medieval wall showing.
Waddington is on the B6478 about three miles north-west of Clitheroe on the A59.
Photos of church exterior and interior and village green photos © by Barbara Ballard
Other photos courtesy Geograph Britain and Ireland as follows:
Waddington Old hall by Alexander Knapp; Waddow Hall by Jon Royle; former hospital buildings by Mike and Kirsty Grundy