Browsholme Hall, in the Forest of Bowland, was built in 1507 in an H shape. Tudor in origin with an Elizabethan pink sandstone façade, it has been the ancestral home of the Parker family since its construction. In 1591 the house had 24 rooms. After 1603 the wings and front were refaced and a fourth story added. A Queen Anne wing was added to the original building in 1711. The gabled top storey was removed in 1750, and further changes were made in the early 1800s. It is still the Parker family home.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
Arms and armour, Jacobite glasses, and silver inlaid Scottish dueling pistols are part of a large collection of unusual antiquities ranging from the stone age to the 20th century on display in the house.
Also in the house is a collection of portraits by painters that include Romney, Lely, Northcote and Batoni. Elizabethan and Jacobean carved dark-oak panelling and furniture are perfect accompaniments to the period interior.
The library has a longcase clock dated 1750. The drawing room has a marble fireplace carved in Rome and mahogany doors by Gillow. There are a number of pieces of Regency furniture in this room.
The dining room, added in 1807, has late 18th century creamware plates as well as a Chinese armorial tea and chocolate service on show. The ante room has a silver stirrup cup from 1819 shaped like the head of a hare. Also in this room is a Regency rent table and a 1650 oak chest.
The main attraction of the staircase is the stained glass window put together from glass ranging from the 13-19th centuries. The glass is supposedly from Whalley abbey. 17th and 18th century furniture is found on the landing. Other rooms on display in the house include the oak bedroom, yellow bedroom, and velvet bedroom (with a 1609 clothes press).
The oak drawing room is so named because of the 1700 oak panelling on the walls. The windows reflect amorial stained glass.
The landscaped park is in the ‘Capability’ Brown style.
Forest of Bowland, five miles north-west of Clitheroe, one mile from the village of Bashall Eaves, Lancashire
Tel. 0 1254 827 160
Open: Wednesdays from May to end first week in Oct, 11.30am-4pm
Historic Houses Association member
Web: Browsholme Hall
Note: Browsholme is pronounced as `brusom`
Photo of hall exterior © by Barbara Ballard;
Other photos courtesy Geograph Britain and Ireland as follows:
garden by Philip Platt; gateway by John H. Darch; lodge by Chris Heaton
Note: interior photos were not permitted.