Farnborough Hall is a mid 18th century honey coloured stone house. It remains much as it began.
Go Back: [Top of Page] [Articles
Of special note in the house is the rococo plasterwork which was added to the interior in the 1750s. At the same time the front of the house was remodelled. The house is furnished with treasures collected during a grand tour. These include paintings and sculpture.
The entry hall is Italianate in design and contains oval niches for statues. Also on view are the dining room, the drawing room with much stucco work and Italian art, and the staircase hall which also features stucco work.
In the landscaped grounds are an s-shaped terrace, two temples, a lake, and waterside and woodland walks. One of the temples is two storeys and its plasterwork reflects that of the house. Of special note in the grounds is a 54 foot high limestone ashlar obelisk. Completed in 1751 it sits at the end of a grassed terrace.
Six miles north of Banbury, Warwickshire
.5 mile west of the A423
Tel. 0 1295 690 002
Open: April-end Aug, Wed and Sat, 2-5.30pm
National Trust property
All photos courtesy National Trust Photo Library by photographers as follows:
Chris Lacey: exterior of the Hall, gardens, obelisk;
John Hammond: temple, staircase, sitting room, plasterwork;
Angelo Hornak: entry hall